Chapter Two: Just Whatever Works

(Phil's POV)

[Earlier That Same Night]

I was walking along with my two friends, Chris and PJ. They insisted on me coming out of the house and going to a stupid party with them. Now, we were walking back to their place.

"What was the point of us even going if you weren't even gonna talk to anyone?" Chris asked, turning to me as we were walking.

"Yeah, you just stood around the entire time. I don't even think I saw you get a drink." PJ agreed, straining his neck to look at me across Chris, who was walking between us with his arm around PJ's waist.

"I didn't know anyone there! And I wasn't gonna walk around you two being all lovey-dovey." I retorted, defended myself. "Do you think I want to follow around as the 'Lonely guy with the cute, newly-engaged gay couple'?"

Chris and Peej exchanged a look. They knew I often felt like a third wheel with them, and despite toning down the romantic stuff for my sake when we're hanging out, they're still a couple. And it still bums me out to know that I'm the single one of the group.

"That wasn't the point of this, Phil. You weren't supposed to follow us around. You were meant to be meeting new people." PJ replied, sounding a bit annoyed at how difficult I was being.

"I don't want to meet new people. At least not like that. I want it to be on my own or not at all." I said, crossing my arms stubbornly. We all know that I'm alone. I don't need their help always trying to set up ways for me to find someone. I'm completely happy staying home all day. At least if I stay home, I don't have to deal with heartbreak again.

PJ sighed, obviously frustrated, and giving up on trying to talk to me. Chris noticed this, chiming in, "Well, if you won't let us help you get a boyfriend, then let's all go together to get you a pet. We don't care. Just whatever works to get you out of this loneliness-driven depression you've put yourself in lately. Me and Peej can't spend our time babysitting you so you don't get sad"

I balled my fists, frowning, getting angry from his blunt words. I was tired of constantly being treated like a project that those two needed to fix. I can handle myself, and I don't need their help. I looked at them, my face painted with my emotions.

"Listen, I didn't ask to be taken out tonight. That was your doing and I went along with it so I could shut you both up. Can't you just accept that I'm not ready for another relationship? That's just the way it is. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna stand here and get a lecture from you both about how much I need to socialize." I snapped, stopping and glaring at them across the pavement.

They both just stood there, not knowing what to say. After a few moments I finally took a deep breath and spoke harshly, "I'm going back to my flat, I'm done with this."

I walked quickly in the opposite direction before they could protest, and left them where they were. As I walked, I looked at my phone, trying to calm down, and distract myself. I looked up suddenly, as I noticed something in front of me, and attempted to swerve out of the way of the lamppost directly in my path.

I tripped over my own feet as I moved, falling down and landing against someone, knocking us both to the ground.

"I'm so sorry sir, I wasn't watching where I was going, I didn't mean to bump into-", I stopped talking, as I looked down into the most beautiful dark brown eyes I've ever seen. I held my breath, feeling my cheeks get warm as I blushed.