Chapter One: One the Streets

(Dans POV)

I was jolted awake by a loud ambulance roaring down the street. Sometimes it's terrible living in a big city like this. At night there are always horns honking, sirens screaming, and other loud noises that manage to interrupt my slumber.

I stand up, looking around, and wondering what time it was. The sky was still dark, so I couldn't have slept as long as I would've wanted. I pick up my beanie from the ground, and cover my two big, fluffy cat ears. Stray nekos tend to be looked down upon, less preferred, and thought to have something wrong with them if they are without an owner when they're older. It was just easier to pretend to be a homeless boy.

After gathering up my few belongings, I started walking through the back allies I've spent my last couple months in. My deep brown eyes adjusted to the darkness, and finally I could see exactly where I was going.

I started walking aimlessly, as I was deep in thought. I've always been one to sit around and think about profound things. I often consider aspects of my life and spend my time developing opinions on different topics, even if I had no one to discuss them with. Sometimes I would talk to myself, just so I could let all the things I had stuck in my head to escape, and keep myself somewhat sane.

The perpetual feeling of loneliness started to get heavier as I made my way through the small walkways. This was normal, but I can't help but wish for someone who would take me in. I shake my head, dismissing the notion. Who would want a dirty stray like me? Especially a gay one.

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. It was getting long, and my previously short fringe has now grown out into a curly mess on my head. I used to straighten it every day, but considering my situation, that really wasn't an option now. I hated my curly hair, although I've gotten over it. It helped that I haven't come across many mirrors since I've lived out here.

As I was walking along, I saw a police officer. I panicked, hiding behind a dumpster. I had to get out of this area. I couldn't risk being found out. Stray nekos are usually locked up in the building they have for the unwanted ones. People are able to come and adopt them from there, but considering it's all mostly old, sick, mentally unstable, or dying nekos there, it's pretty much the end of the line for its inhabitants.

I rushed around the corner, seeing a seemingly empty pavement ahead. I ran towards it, trying to get across without being noticed. Meanwhile, the police I had seem had already wandered off in a completely different direction. I didn't realize this, as I hurried out of the ally, running directly into someone walking by, and falling down with them.

I stayed quiet, my eyes clamped closed, expecting to hear some bloke yelling at me, but instead I only heard a nice voice, stumbling through an apology. I looked up my eyes meeting with two amazingly blue orbs, my breath taken away.