Chapter 27

Within 2 minutes they arrived at the caves. Sam, Elvis, Penny, Ellie, Arnold, and Jerry Lee all jumped out of their vehicles and rushed into the cave. Sam clicked on a torch, and light illuminated the cave. It was dark, gray, and rather smelly. Elvis grimaced, while Arnold pinched his nose.

Still, they continued to run until Sam held up a hand. Everyone screeched to a halt, and they all looked down. 

There, holding onto a foothold, were Hannah, Derek, Norman, Mandy, Sarah, and finally James.

"Don't worry, kids!" Sam called out, "we'll have you out in no time!!!"

"Okay!" James said, yet he honestly thought that they were all going to die.

"Penny, get Venus!!" Sam called out, "Elvis, you go get the harness!!"

"Roger that, Sam!!"

The two firefighters rushed off. 

"Ugh, I hate this tunnel..." Elvis muttered to himself. Naturally he felt relieved to finally be out in the fresh and cool air.

"Ahhh..." he muttered to himself as he rushed towards Jupiter. He opened one of the holders (dont know what to call them lol) and got out a huge harness. Meanwhile Penny got into Venus and slowly rolled it towards the cave.

"Elvis!!" she called out, "you go before me!!"

"O-okay," Elvis stuttered out, clearly smitted, "righty-ho, Penny." He then rushed into the cave, trying not to look around, and finally reached the others.

"Good timing, Vis," Sam said as he attached his waist to the harness, while Ellie held it tight, "now, all we have to do is wait for Penny."

"Uh, she's coming," Elvis said, trying not to blush (though likely no one could see in the darkness).

"Well," Jerry Lee said, "you're in love."

"Guys, this is serious!!" Sam said sternly, "not the time for jokes!!"

Just then, lights could be heard coming up. Arnold turned his head and said, "it's Penny!!"

"Good," Sam breathed, "she's here."

Venus then proceeded to arrive. Penny stepped out and grabbed the harness, before attaching it to a hook at the front of Venus.

"Alright!!" Sam ordered, "Penny, keep a steady ground on Venus!! Elvis, Ellie, Arnold, Jerry Lee: when I hand the kids to you, you have to keep them safe! Okay?"

"Roger that, Sam!!!"

"Okay!!" Sam said, "Penny, back up slightly!!!"

Penny got into Venus again and backed up just an inch or two. Sam started to jump down the cliff as if he was rock climbing. 

Soon he reached the kids.

"Sam, I can't hold this wheelchair anymore!!!" Derek pleaded, "I can't-"

"Don't worry, Derek," Sam told him kindly as he took Hannah and the wheelchair in his arms, "I'll come back for you and Norman."

Derek quickly grabbed the foothold, keeping up Norman, Mandy, Sarah, and James. James was whimpering oh so quietly, while Sarah was attempting to comfort him. Mandy was trying her best not to have a panic attack at the moment. Norman was crying out in pain from his hair being pulled for so long, that it was probably now stretched.

Sam hauled himself up the cliff and handed Hannah to Ellie. She then led the girl to safety, where the other firefighters kept her safe. Elvis put a hand on her shoulder and said, "don't worry, Mandy. It's going to be alright."

Sam jumped back down the cliff and soon reached the kids again. He grabbed Norman and Derek and lifted them up. Mandy quickly grabbed another foothold to keep her and the twins up. 

"Oh, we're going to die..." James kept saying over and over again, "we're going to die, we're going to die..."

"Will you PLEASE shut up?" Sarah whispered as Sam came back down one last time. He grabbed Mandy and grasped James's hand. Sarah tried to do the same but felt herself slipping.

"Uncle Sam!!!" she screamed, "I'm falling!!"

"Sarah!!" James called out and looked around, causing his grip around Sam's head to slip. Sarah grabbed James's foot as they fell down into the darkness before Sam could even react.