Chapter 16

Sam and Arnold arrived at the fire station within a few moments, and joined the rest of the Rescue Team in the break room.

"So," Arnold said, sitting down and taking a sip of coffee, "I take it that there's a plan to get Elvis and Penny together?"

"Honestly I don't know," Steele said, sitting down at the table, "I really don't."

There was a heavy silence that followed.

Finally Ben spoke up, "so we're just giving up."

"No," Steele said sternly, "we're just a little stuck."

"Arnold, mate, can't you think of something??" Tom asked desperately, "we're really stuck."

"Look, I don't know either," Arnold said, putting his head in his hands as he slumped down on the couch, "Penny's just too stubborn to admit it."

Ellie sighed, "she sure is. I remember one time I was visiting her younger sister Phoenix and she said that she tried for 6 years to get Penny to admit that she liked Justin Bieber. It hasn't worked to this day."

"And Cridlington," Steele sighed, trailing off, leaving the sentence unfinished.

"Elvis," Ben continued, "is too shy to admit it."

"Are they still at the hospital??" Ellie asked Sam and Arnold.

"Elvis said he wasn't feeling well, so he went home." Sam answered.

"What about Trevor? How's he doing?"

"Elvis said he's doing fine."

"What about Elvis himself??"

"I honestly think that he might be coming down with something," Sam sighed, "he was very pale and looked like he was going to vomit."

"Yikes, I hope he didn't get it from one of the kids in Pontypandy," Moose answered in his Canadian voice.

"I think I know what illness he's got," Arnold said as he stretched out on the couch, putting his feet on Ellie's lap, making her blush.

"What???" Steele asked, "don't keep us waiting, Arnold!"

"He's too scared to confess his love to Penny," Arnold explained casually, "and it's taking a toll on his overall health."

"Yikes," Ellie said, shoving Arnold's feet off of her lap, causing him to fall to the floor, "Elvis really needs to tell Penny how he feels."

"I know," Sam said, "but what are we going to do?? We can't convince either of them to admit it! They each think that the other doesn't feel the same way!!!"

There was tense silence afterwards for a long time, because no one knew what to do. It was either this or giving up.