Chapter 12

"Alright," Station Officer Steele told Ellie. Ben, Tom, and Moose were nearby. Arnold and Sam had just left to work on their 'invention,' although no one seemed to care at the moment. Jerry Lee had gone back to Newtown. "So," Steele continued, "what exactly happened?"

Ellie took a deep breath, "well, I-I'm sure you've noticed."

"Noticed what?"

"Noticed something about Elvis and Penny."

"Ah, yes. I know what you're talking about. Cridlington always does seem a bit flustered around her. They work well together, those two..."

"Yes," Ellie said, "we've been figuring it all out recently. So, we decided to make a plan."

Ben looked down at the ground, blushing. Tom and Moose looked at each other, unsure of what was going to happen next.

"Oh dear lord," Station Officer Steele facepalmed, "Firefighter Phillips, you didn't-"

"Yes," Ellie winced, "we recruited Trevor."

Steele was obviously still processing this information, as he was staring off into space, his eyebrows creased. 

"I hope this doesn't turn out bad, mate," Tom whispered to Moose, who nodded in agreement.

"Well," Steele finally said sternly, "the whole thing was rather stupid, I must say. Next time you all should use more mature ways to get Cridlington and Penny together."

"Are you gonna help us?" Ben asked before anyone could stop him.

"I suppose," Steele said, "but Trevor can't. He's in the hospital, and I'm quite infuriated at the moment."

Ellie knew in her head that if Arnold were here right now he would tell her, 'I told you so, Ellie!' She blushed at the thought of her fellow coworker, yet quickly shrugged it off and said, "sorry Sir. But, if you're to help us, what's your plan? If you have one, that is."

"Well, I suppose we should have them take a shift together," Steele said, rubbing his chin, "that would be the only way to do things properly, without any Angels of Love or whatever the heck you were thinking, Ellie..."

Ellie blushed, "not my brightest idea, Sir."

Moose spoke up now, "we've got to let Elvis and Penny tell each other themselves. That's what I really think, honestly."

"I think the same," Tom agreed, "if we tell Penny that Elvis likes her, she may not believe us. However, if Elvis tells her that he likes her himself, she may just believe it."

"I suppose that would work," Ben agreed, scratching the back of his head, "but, I have another question. If Boyce shows up again, how on earth are we going to hide this from him? He's going to ruin it all!"

"Horatio isn't the smartest chap," Steele replied, now grinning, "I suppose we could just lie and tell him it's someone's birthdays or someone's wedding or something."

"Yeah, but what if he finds out?" Ellie asked.

"Don't worry," Steele replied, "he won't. I'll make sure of that."