9

súton
(n) twilight; the approach of death or the end of something
—————————୨୧————————

Violet's POV:

(Day Of  Her Death)

I grabbed my pink duffel bag and began choosing some clothes to pack for my 2 week stay, neatly folding them into the bag. 

I couldn't shake the feeling of uncertainty surrounding this last-minute trip. I wasn't particularly close to my grandparents on my mother's side, so the abruptness of this decision to send me away for 2 weeks puzzled me and left me yearning for the reason behind this solo visit.

Why couldn't they have visited here instead of making me come to their cottage? I hadn't even had the time to notify my teachers about my sudden departure so I was going to have to catch up on all my classes.

My grades were somewhat decent but with being gone for 2 weeks I would most likely have a bit of trouble getting up to date.

My mother's faint call from downstairs urged me to hurry up. I added the last few essentials, including my phone and earphones, to my duffel bag.

After zipping it shut, I slung it over my shoulder, flicked the light switch down, and left my room. Heading downstairs, I didn't find my mom in the living room, despite her calling out my name about 2 minutes ago. It was weird how fast she had left the house.

Assuming she was already in the car, I called out her name just to check, but there was no response. The honk of her car confirmed she was waiting for me in the car.

My father's hoarse and tired voice interrupted me as I reached for the handle of the front door. He handed me my forgotten portable charger, and I hesitantly thanked him before making my way to my mother's car.

Once inside, I fastened my seatbelt, and my mother started driving. The ride was mostly quiet, leaving me alone with my thoughts which wasn't exactly good for me.

The small gesture of my dad giving me the portable charger struck me as unusual, adding to my uneasiness about the trip. I was the only one going—neither my parents nor Macy was accompanying me.

Going alone felt awkward, especially since I couldn't recall ever meeting these grandparents. The dark surroundings during the 10-minute ride only amplified my growing anxiety.

I texted Kiara and Eden about my departure. Because it was all so sudden I didn't get to let them know. The last thing I wanted was for them to worry. I wanted them to hear it from me first instead of my parents telling them. I then looked out the window.

The landscape was dominated by trees, creating a foreboding atmosphere. The car bounced as we navigated the rocky path to reach the cottage.

Upon arrival, the cabin looked cozy, constructed from wood and appearing relatively new As if it had been built just last week.

The first cabin I ever went to looked worn out. The cottage was nice but it was the surroundings that had to be uncertain. It was solely surrounded by trees. No cars were parked outside.

How did they even manage to leave the cottage? There weren't any stores for 15 minutes and I doubt my grandparents would have the energy for it.

I mean I didn't know them. What if they were track stars back in their dads? Shaking my head I snapped myself out of my ridiculous thoughts. I turned to my mother and said " Are you sure this is the right place?".

In response, she said "Well if the GPS says it's here then this should be the right place" Her words did not manage to calm my anxiety. I knew that my mother was in a rush because she had to work the night before.

Deciding not to hold up her time any longer I said my goodbyes to her and got out of the car. The cottage had four small steps leading out to the front door. Hesitating in front of the door, I contemplated my decision.

Though my parents hadn't forced me, I felt pressured by the whole thing and I felt guilty about the fact that I had no relationship with my grandparents. After the passing of my grandparents on my father's side I was devastated.

I knew that I could never replace them or create a bond as strong as the one I had with them. I could at least allow my other grandparents the chance to try to somewhat build a bond with me.

Raising my fist to knock, I  stopped and turned back to where my mother's car should have been, only to find it gone.

Couldn't she have at least waited for me to get into the cottage safely before driving off? But I couldn't blame her because she was in a rush. The lights inside were off, and when I took my phone out of my pocket it showed no signal.

Frustrated, I sighed and was about to put my phone away when I was suddenly struck by a blunt object.

Before I could comprehend or react to the situation, I collapsed, and all I could see from there was pure darkness.

—————————୨୧————————
A/N
Short chapter
Don't forget to vote!
889 words
ღღღ

...