The look in his eyes today brought back memories for Esme—memories of the first time she noticed Ares harboring feelings for Elysia. It was back in their school days when, by chance, she passed by the library and spotted them coincidentally.

Ares and Elysia were studying for her math competition in those days. Elysia was saying something, showing her notebook to Ares, her eyes were fixed on the paper, lips moving slowly. He stood across from her, looking down at her, and it was crystal clear that he wasn't listening a word she was saying as his attention was not focused on the book, but on Elysia's face. His gaze was unwavering, light-brown eyes widened and dilated, lips slightly parted in fascination, as if she were the most captivating being he had ever seen.

Even then, Ares was already in love with her, just never realized it himself.

Like today, nothing was different. His gaze was still solely focused on Elysia. It seemed like nothing and no one else existed in his awareness when she was around.

When Ares was trying to know more about Elysia, there wasn't mere curiosity in his eyes; they held a raw sincerity, a desperate longing, as if he were trying to gather pieces of his own existence, and not just Elysia's. If anything, the intensity in his eyes was more than that of past and that was the only reason Esme went against her nature and beyond to tell him whatever she knew.

"He maybe a clueless idiot in matters of love, but he's not all that bad, I suppose," Esme whispered to herself.

Moreover, he had the power to protect Elysia from the whole world, even if it means someone's destruction, which he was definitely capable of, as of what Esme knew about him...

Esme turned to glance at Elysia in the room, her eyebrows furrowing once more. If there was anyone other than Esme who valued privacy above all and detested interference, it was Elysia.

Unbeknownst to her, Ares had breached a boundary that Elysia had never allowed anyone to cross. He had literally brewed storm for himself if Ely gets to know about this, because when it came to stubbornness, Elysia Lawson had no equal.

"I hope you never find out about this," Esme murmured in a low voice. "Or if you do, I hope your heart makes an exception for him, as it always has..."

With a soft sigh, Esme took a deep breath before opening the door and stepping in. For the rarest time in her life, she was so immersed in her thoughts that she failed to notice a tall, stunned figure standing by the corner of the hospital corridor, his gaze fixed on her.

*****************

The next few days unfolded rather normally. Elysia requested a leave from Maron which he granted, surprisingly without blabbering about Ares. Esme observed Elysia's fingers hesitating over her phone several times but she refrained from contacting Ares, neither he contacted himself which was a surprise for Esme. Bags under Elysia's eyes hinted at restless nights spent sitting beside Sandra's bed, even when she was sleeping.

"Beastie! I was telling mom," Elysia addressed Esme in an excited voice. "Let's plan a trip once she's fully recovered, all three of us. What do you think?" Esme's eyebrows furrowed momentarily before she gave a subtle nod.

"Sure, why not!" Esme responded with a small smile, masking her initial expressions when Sandra turned her gaze toward her. Elysia sat beside Sandra, making plans for the future after her surgery, while Esme occupied the other side of the bed.

However, her smile slowly faded, transforming into a frown, as Sandra shifted her attention back to Elysia. Esme observed them with a thoughtful and concerned expression. Elysia dismissed her worries, claiming it was just another dissociative episode.