Chapter 18

On my way home I check the time on my phone. 10:27 pm.

When I get to my house, I see a light on. My mom's room. She's finally home.

I quickly go in and see her in the living room, watching tv.

,,Hey, Esma. How are you?'' she says as she sees me and quickly gets up from her seat.

That's all she has to say after being gone for so many weeks? She didn't answer any of my calls, and she didn't come home until she felt like it. Classic her, I don't even know why I am surprised.

,,Do you know where Lucas is?'' I snap.

,,Yes, honey.'' she smiles. ,,There is nothing we can do about it, we'll go to court and see if we can help him when the time comes. Until then, all we can do is wait.''

,,I cannot believe you knew your son was in prison and that I was here all alone and you still decided to stay a few more weeks on vacation and avoid your real life, which is here, by the way.'' I yell at her.

She was on vacation while I was crying my heart out, trying everything in my power to make things right. What kind of a mother does that?

My mother. I think. My mother does that.

,,Look, Esma. I'm sorry, but I had other problems at work. Someone tried to spread some rumors about me and I risked losing my job-''

,,I don't give a damn about your job. Your kids should be above all else, but you put them at the bottom of everything.'' I cut her off, tears in my eyes as I run out the door. Not being able to stay in the same house as her.

I don't know where I'll go or what I'll do. All I know is that she didn't run after me. She didn't even bother to call my name.

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I check the time on my phone as I take a seat on a bench in the town's local park. 10:50 pm. I feel a cold drop of water on my hand, and that's when I realize it's raining. Fuck. I was planning to spend the night in the woods, but I guess that s not an option anymore.

I decide to call Izzie and ask her if I can head over to her house. There are always maids there and all of them know me, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Please pick up please pick up please pick up.

,,Hey'' her raspy voice speaks on the other end.

,,Hey, Iz. I need your help...'' I say, and I proceed to explain everything that's happened while looking for a more covered place to protect me from the rain.

,,Esma, I'm so sorry but I can't help you. All our maids have a free day, which is Sunday... But I can maybe call one of them and arrange-'' she says, but I cut her off. ,,No, it's okay. I'll try somewhere else. Love you.'' I hang up before she can say anything else.

I decide to try and call Eric, knowing it will be awkward, since we've just started being friends, but he doesn't answer anyway. He's probably sleeping.

Fuck, I have nowhere to go.

By the time I run out of my two options, it's pouring outside and I decide to go to the town's only bus station, which is also the most covered place I could find, and lay down on one of the benches. I lean my head on the wall next to my seat and try to drift off. The faster I fall asleep, the quicker this shitty night ends.

I try not to think about what my mom is doing right now, even though she is probably silently sleeping on the couch, not at all worried about her daugher being on the streets or her son being in prison.

The agressive sounds of the rain help calm my mind, sort of envading it, and I finally drift off.

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel a hand on my shoulder and snap awake, ready to scream or fight whoever touched me. But when I look up I see the familiar face of a tall brunette I dreaded seeing ever again. I check the time. 2:25 am. I'm suprised no one kidnapped me by now, must be sad for Theo, he just lost a case.

,,What the hell are you doing here?" Rhys says, scanning my face as if to see if I am
hurt.

,,None of your fucking business .'' I say, sitting down again while trying not to look at him.

He sighs and sits down next to me. We sit in that damn silence for a few minutes, until he decides to speak. ,,Look, I can't leave you here all night. If you die, I'll have you on my consciousness forever.'' the corners of his mouth lift up, smilling at his joke. My face remains blank.

,,I don't know what the hell happened or how you ended up in here. But you can come over to my house, my father isn't even home. You can sleep in our guest room and I promise not to murder you in your sleep.'' he says, doubt in his voice.

I know he's being nice to try to make up for lying to me, but it isn't working. However, I could use a warm bed and dry clothes right now. Even if they are from the one person I don't want to be near.

,,Fine.'' I say, and in a few seconds I find myself walking to his car. I didn't even know he drives, but I guess we learn something new everyday.

I look out the window, slowly realizing I'm going to sleep in Rhys Matisse's house.

Fuck.

___________________________________

Btw I am so sorry for not writing more, I'm just super uninspired and had some hard months
Leaving you, yet again, with a cliffhanger😋😋
Don't forget to vote and leave a comment!!
Have a beautiful dayy💕💕