Chapter 4

The house phone is ringing. I go pick it up.

,,Hello. Mister Matisse on the phone.''

,,Hi, It's Esma, what is it?'' I ask, still annoyed at him for his accusations.

,,Well, I thought I could maybe talk to your mother, today we are starting the tests and autopsy on your dad. I called to ask if your family wants to see it before that?''

Suddenly I am horrified. Should I go and see him, do I really want to see my father's dead corpse lying on the table? ,,No, thank you. You can just start the tests.''

,,Okay,make sure to tell your mother I called. Goodbye.''

I am anxious all day after that phone call. I am sure that my dad committed suicide, but there's still something about this whole case, not being able to certainly know the truth until some tests are done on his body. I'm just really concerned.

Its five o'clock and mom isn't home yet, so I try calling her. No response. Then I try her office. One of her co-workers, Amy,  responds, also her best friend. ,,Hello, I'm Esma, Daisy's daughter. Is she in there?'' ,, Hello, honey. No, your mom left work at about three, she said she had something to discuss with the detective.'' she answers, her voice sweet and kind. ,,Oh, well thank you then, Amy. Good day.''

What does my mom have to discuss with the detective, and why didn't she tell me about it?

It's around six when I hear the door open. I ask her where she was.

,, I just had to do some extra work at the office today, and my phone died. Sorry I didn't call you.'' my mother says, nearly out of breath. Why is she lying? Is it possible that she could have something more than a friendship with Theo?

We're all at the dinner table, eating quietly, when I decide to start a conversation. ,,Mom, did you see that someone moved in the house down the street? I think my whole life no one ever lived there.''

,,Yes, honey, I saw. Actually, Theo Matisse lives there with his family.'' mom adds.

,,Oh, so he has a wife? A kid?''

,,Yes, Esma, what is with all these questions about him?'' mom says, losing patience.

,,I don't know, I was just wondering.''

,,Maybe you should stop being so nosy with everyone and everything, Esma. People have their own lives without you shoving your nose in them, Jesus.'' Lucas joins the conversation. That was harsh.

,,Fine, I'm sorry.'' 

Why is everyone so damn mean? I tought i was finally getting on the right tracks with my brother. At least he just started being this way. My mom has been like this all her life. I remember one particular night I was begging her to leave dad, after one really bad hiss he threw.

,,Well maybe you deserved it this time, Esma.'' she said. I just went to my room and cried. I was eight, what kind of monster says that to an eight-year-old?

I decide to call my best friend, Izzie. We used to spend a lot of time togheter during school, most summers she was away on vacation. Her parents are really rich, but she is kind and sweet. We've been best friends since third grade. I hated her, she hated me, then we became best friends.

I'm kind of anxious, I haven't seen her since June. I never personally told her my dad died, but I know my mom told her parents so automatically she knows too. I knock on her door, and seconds after we're hugging and she's inviting me in.

,,Es, I missed you so much, you have no idea. I'm really sorry about your father.'' Izzie says.

,,Yes, he wasn't the best father, but having him gone is harder than I thought. I haven't slept since it happened, every time I close my eyes I just see him, dead.''

She hugs me, and the feeling is so comforting and familiar. I think the last person who hugged me was Izzie herself, in June, before leaving in the Bahamas. This was a hug I never knew I needed. But now that I know I want it to last forever.

I've always loved physical touch. I feel like it's the best way to show love. Hugs are even better, it's beautiful to think that when hugging someone, your hearts are at the closest proximity two human hearts can be at. I've hugged very few people thought, Izzie, Lucas and my history teacher, she is the sweetest human being I have ever interacted with, she even knows about my home life, including how my father used to act. She has always been there for me, if I'm being honest, she is more of a mother than my mom will ever be.

I go inside Izzie's house and it never fails to make me gasp. It's the biggest house I have ever seen, but it's not only about the size, it is so elegant and beautiful, it makes me feel like I'm in a palace. I wave to her maid as we walk up the stairs and into her room.

,,So how was your trip? Luxurious and full of boys chasing you, am I right?'' I say smirking. The girl is really beautiful, when whenever go out there are at least two boys asking for her number. ,,Did you meet anyone? I keep seeing you checking your phone.''

Then Izzie blushes. Bingo.

,, So get this, he was born in California but ran away from home at fifteen to the Bahamas to his brother, he owns a hotel and that is where we stayed, he works as a receptionist there. The most beautiful boy I have ever seen, he has those deep blue eyes and golden hair, really tall guy and he literally asked me for my number right as we checked out. Oh yeah and his name is Jess.'' Izzie says in one breath. I swear how does this girl talk so fast?

We keep talking about her new Prince Charming until I get a text from my mom telling me to come home because it's late.

I say goodbye to Izzie and walk home while the sun sets.
_________________________________

Hope you liked this chapter! Don't forget to vote and have a beautiful day💖