Chapter 9

The kitten, with its upturned, wide blue eyes and tiny feet, stumbles over the creases in Navani's blankets. It tries to climb on me while I wait for Navani. I've just pushed it off me for a second time when she finally enters the room.

"What is this?" I ask, gesturing at the animal.

I don't know what I expect exactly. Maybe Navani will act shocked, and say Cail snuck the creature in. Then, I will remind her that Cail didn't know where the kitten was at the mall. Or maybe, Navani will start crying and apologize for jeopardizing any chances we have of saving Ezra. In that case, I'll let Zenith deal with her.

What I don't expect is Navani to start laughing.

"You found Maya," she says.

I don't have a response for that. "You... named it?" I sputter.

"Yeah, it's my pet!"

"Your pet?"

Cail enters the room and I turn on them quickly. "Did you know about this... this... Maya?" I ask.

They smile too. "Yeah, Asher, it's no big deal."

My fists clench in my lap as that familiar feeling of betrayal resurfaces, but I try harder to hold it together this time. "Navani, don't you think we should, um, leave the radioactive animals in their radioactive environment?"

She squints as she looks at me. "Maya was alone," she says. "She needed someone. There was no food for her in that cupboard. The coywolf probably ate her mother and the rest of the litter."

"So, you snuck her out and into a purified building where—" Our washroom door opens and Zenith walks out. "Did you know about this?" I ask him.

He looks at the kitten. "No, but it's a cutie," he says, as he approaches and begins rubbing her under the chin.

"What is wrong with all of you?" I say, my voice rising. I ignore the writhing of guilt in my stomach when I look at Navani. Her chin is quivering.

"No, Asher. What's wrong with you today?" Cail asks, rounding on me. They put their hand on Navani's back. "You're being a complete ass. You won't even hear Navani out when she didn't even sneak Maya in."

"I highly doubt–" I begin, but Cail is on a roll.

"How do you think Maya got here? Huh? Navani asked Daniela if we could bring her, and if you want to get technical, Daniela was the one that transported her in the box on the ATV. She agreed we could bring her, as long as we take certain precautions. Navani cleaned Maya in the shower, and Clip's putting together a special room for her to live in."

"Oh." It's all I can say. I'm taken aback by everything Cail just said.

"So next time you have an issue, why don't you keep an open mind and not be the only one with a worthy opinion for once?" Cail turns to Navani. "Let's go for a walk."

The two leave as I look at the ceiling, and the door closes behind them.

I feel Zenith's eyes on me and put two fingers to my head like a gun. Then, I collapse on my bed.

My voice is muffled because I've covered my face with my hands. "I seriously thought she snuck the cat in! I thought she was going to jeopardize any chance getting your brother help."

Zenith sighs. "It's not your fault, Ash. You didn't know better." He's quiet for a moment, and then says, "You should probably apologize though."

"Apologize?"

The word seems to linger in the air, as if it's a selection on my Networker. If I apologize, will everything get better between us?

I yawn, exhausted.

Lost Atomsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें