Chapter 4

I looked at myself in the mirror. I hated my body. People called me skinny but my thighs are huge, my boobs take over my whole chest, and I still have fat on my stomach. Maybe if I change my skinny jeans no one will notice.

"Are you still changing?" my dad came in with his hand over his eyes.

"I was gonna change my jeans but I'll wait," I smiled.

I turned around and he took his hand off his face. He was wearing his nurse uniform.

"You just came from work?" I asked looking back at the mirror.

"No. I've been asleep since you came home. Thats why I didn't eat dinner with you guys," he sat on my bed staring at the ceiling.

The awkward silence started....again. I went to pick up my phone and text Alice when my dad started to cough.

"Is that what you're gonna wear? To meet those boys?" He observed my outfit in a protective way. "Don't you think its a bit...tight?"

I turned back to the mirror. My gray Beastie Boys shirt was a little small and my black leather jacket squeezed my chest a bit but other than that, my outfit seemed fine.

I unzipped the jacket. "Better?"

"I was talking about the jeans," he said. "They're a little tight on your legs..."

I responded with a nod. "Like I said, I was considering changing them anyway."

My phone buzzed on my desk. I looked at my dad to see if it was alright and he nodded. It was a text from Alice.

Alice: Be there in three minutes. Getting some slushees from 7 Eleven want anything??

I quickly responded: Of course I do. I want the green slurpee, best color in the world! ;)

Before I could put my phone in my jacket pocket Alice texted back: Alright fatass :*

I chuckled a little as I put my phone in my jacket pocket.

"Was that Alice?" My dad watched me curiously.

"Yeah, she's on her way."

He nodded his head and said oh. I fiddled with my fingers until my father realized he was to either speak or leave.

"Well I just wanted to see you before I head to work," he got up and walked to me. He hugged me tightly, "Just be careful around those boys. European guys are way more sneaky than Americans."

I laughed softly. "And you know this how?"

"Well my friend Robert's son lives in the UK, that kid has way too many girlfriends."

We both started to laugh out loud.

As we both settled down, I smiled. I missed having these moments with my dad.

"Well.." my dad sighed checking his watch. "I gotta go. Don't wanna be late."

I nodded. "Ok. Later loser."

"Alright Silly Sally."

Just another one of our father-daughter things.

He kissed my forehead and as he walked out of my room, Alice brushed past him. "Hey Mr. Campbell!"

"Nice seeing you again Alice. How's your mom?"

"She's holding up. She's a fighter."

"That's great. Tell her I'll bring her medication on my way home tonight."

Alice smiled at my father's kind gesture. "Your dad is awesome!"

I chuckled. I observed Alice's outfit. Black leather pants, royal blue dressy tank top, black Jeffrey Campbell heels and a black leather jacket.