Chapter 2

"We really are sorry this happened," the woman said firmly, trying to feel somewhat sorry for me. "We've tried everything. It was a screw up on our part."

They all got up and left. "Until the contract is up, try and make the best of things. For your own brother," the last man to leave peered back in.

"Thanks," I sighed. The door closed behind him. "For nothing."

Alice got up from her seat next to me and stared out the window. "Ah, New York! Where your dreams come true but not how you expect them to."

"Damn skippy!" I leaned back, groaning. I took of my Converse sneakers and leather jacket.

"Anyways," Alice's blue eyes sparkled in the light as she turned towards me.

I raised an eyebrow giving her a curious look. "What?"

"Well....I wanted to talk to you about James."

"No way! Absolutely not!" I shouted, folding my arms. Alice got down on her knees and crawled to me.

"But he's super cute!" She pleaded.

"And 21!" I replied.

"So? Harry Styles is 18 and you like him. Besides, James is turning 21 in three months."

How did I forget that? "Right....March 1st?"

"How can you forget that?! He's your brother."

"And how do you remember that? He's my brother," I responded.

"Look! I'm messing up my new Forever 21 skinny jeans to show how serious I am," she pouted her red lips. "I'll even mess up my mascara!"

I scrunched my eyebrows. "Oh god, please don't."

"Ugh fine...just no sex till you're 18," I pretended I was throwing up in disgust.

She got up from the floor. "Fine I'm turning 17 this year so waiting one year is fine by me."

"How could I forget?" I laughed. She reminded me every month. "We even have the same birthday."

"This is coming from a girl who forgot her own birthday," she squinted her eyes at me.

"That's different," I started to say.

"How the hell-" Alice started to say when the door suddenly opened.

"Oh great! You guys are still here," James smiled widely. He no longer was in his black suit but blue skinny jeans, black tee shirt and black and and white Converses.

"No duh sherlock. You have the money," I rolled my eyes. Alice nudged me in my side with her elbow.

"Right," he smiled.

I looked at Alice in anger and she was smiling extra hard towards James. James was looking right at her, smiling back.

"Can we go now?" I slipped my feet back into my shoes.

James looked at me annoyed. "Sure, but I need to borrow your jacket. I left mine at home."

"Hell no," I said taking it from the chair.

"Yes." Alice said at the same time I answered.

I looked at her and she was giving me a look as though she was going to kill me if I didn't give my brother my jacket.

"Lucky I'm wearing my hoodie," I said tossing the jacket to James.

***

The streets of New York were flooded with cars, even on this foggy morning. I could be in class right now, enjoying my Friday with Alice. I checked my watched: 11:45. I'd be in Scriptures class, reading the Bible till my eyes fall out and the serpent from the Adam and Eve story comes out of my eye socket.

"Earth to Marina!" A voice whispered loudly In my ear.

We were in Starbucks. I always do this; walk to my destination or do my work without even paying attention.

I looked at Alice confused. "You did it again," she sighed.

I looked at the cashier lady and she looked as though she was seconds away from strangling me. "Uh...coffee, milk, sugar.....please."

"Finally!" A british voice from the back of the line shouted.

"Oh shut up you british twat!" I yelled back.

James stared at me shocked. "Marina! My co-workers come here and they may say something to me because of YOUR behavior!"

"Well after what YOUR stupid co-workers did to MY future career, I deserve that right!"

We both looked at Alice to see who she was going to defend. She took her latte from the worker and walked out. I took my and followed her.

Alice was already across the street, signaling a taxi to pick her up. "We should get back to school."

"I didn't mean what I said," James said sadly. "How can I make it up to you?"

I slowly turned towards him. "Get the contract voided."

I went inside the taxi and watched as Alice gave my brother a reassuring look. She sat next to me and sipped her drink.

"What?" I asked angrily. If she was this quiet she was obviously mad at me.

"Nothing. Just nothing," she looked straight ahead. The taxi driver coughed uncomfortably and started the drive back to New Jersey.