9.

(Brittany's POV)

"So, tell me a little bit about yourself?" Mia asks as I am sat across from her at the table Santana sorted for us. "I was born and raised in Lima, Ohio. Was part of the cheer squad and Glee club. Only child, my friends mean so much to me so a few of us decided to move out here after graduation, we attended college here, now we work and live here. I own my own dance studio, which is fairly successful. What about you?" I ask Mia in turn. "I moved here with my girlfriend just over 4 years ago, we only lasted two years after we got here. We just weren't right for each other, it was very toxic. But I fell head over heels for New York, I didn't want to leave and go back to Puerto Rico. So I applied for my visa, then my green card and now I work in finance on Wall Street."

Mia seems really lovely, I am making a conscious effort to put my all into this date. Me being with Santana I think is out of the question, I need to move forward. The more time that passes, the more I think there is just no point in saying anything to her about how I feel. Mia is beautiful, olive skinned, dreamy brown eyes and the most gorgeous accent. "So these friends that you moved here with, are they the ones you have your dinners with?" she asks, sipping on her martini. "They are, they're a great group of people." I smile, talking about my friends. "Maybe if tonight goes well, I can meet them one day?" she winks. "Yeah maybe" I chuckle. 

As the minutes go by I feel myself easing into the date more, there is something about Mia that feels so familiar, she is so easy to talk to. She has had me laughing all night long, in my mind there is definitely a date two on the cards.

---

(Three hours later...)

"Where do you live? Let me walk you home." Mia asks. "I live about two blocks from here." I say pointing in the direction of my current residence. "Let me walk you home." she smiles, holding her hand out for me to hold. "Thank you" I say bashfully. We walk through the streets of New York, people milling about, going out for food, drinks or whatever else. A group of guys have been walking behind us, I feel like they're following us. "OI LESBIANS!" we hear one of them shout, we both turn around at the same time. "Excuse me?" Mia says, staring them down. "I said...oi, lesbians!" The same guy repeats, this time in a more cocky manner as he gets our attention. "Fuck off" Mia scoffs and turns around and pulls us away. "GIVE HER A KISS!" another one shouts. But we ignore it.

"LET ME KISS YOU, I'LL TURN YOU!" Another one shouts. This seems to be the tipping point and Mia let's go of my hand. "Don't bother." I try and pull her back but she seems insistent on interacting with these ignorant jerks. "You think you can turn me?" she says, stepping closer to the young guy. "Oh yeah, you're so hot. Don't waste your time with a woman." he says, very sure of himself. "Come here then big boy." she whispers. They both lean in, is she actually going to kiss him? Their lips get impossibly close and then BAM! Mia has given him a swift right hook right in his jaw and he falls flat on his ass, his friends not sure whether to laugh, help him or run a mile. "How's that?" Mia asks, shaking her hand of the sting it inevitably feels.

"Oh my god!" I giggle as I take Mia's hand back in mine. We walk peacefully the rest of the way to Santana's apartment. "This is me." I say, pointing up at the skyscraper. "Great, well thank you for a good night. I really enjoyed myself." Mia smiles and steps forward and places a soft kiss on my lips. "Why don't you come up?" I suggest. "I mean it's actually someone else's apartment. But they won't mind. Plus, you should probably ice that hand of yours." I say gently lifting Mia's slightly swollen hand. "Sure." she says, interlocking her fingers with mine. We ride in the elevator all the way up to Santana's apartment. The door pings up and we walk to the apartment. I get the key and let us in. I look around the apartment and first look I can't see her anywhere. 

"Follow me." I lead Mia into Santana's kitchen, instantly going to the freezer to get her a bag of peas. "These should do it!" I place the bag of frozen peas on Mia's hand and wrap a towel around it to hold it in my place. "My hero." she jokes. "Wine?" I add. "Wine is good." Mia says, watching me intensely as I walk around the kitchen. She makes me feel a little nervous, but not in a bad way. I like that she is watching me, I can feel my cheeks go flush as I catch her staring at my chest.