The Battle to the Death

""Dear Jim, you're receiving this letter because I've most likely been slaughtered by a troll.""

Barbara groans and pinches the bridge of her nose.

She crumples up the paper and throws it in the trash can and grabs another sheet of paper.

"Jim, I don't know how to tell you this, but let me try.."

The woman began writing onto the piece of paper.

After coming home from work, Barbara saw Lucas in the kitchen.

"Lucas? What are you doing?" The woman asked.

"I thought we could have at least a normal family moment together." Her stepbrother replied with a weak smile.

"Well. I guess it would be nice... It will probably be my last.." Barbara frowns.

"Hey, I know you're going to survive. I mean we survived this far, right?" Lucas spoke, trying to reassure her.

Barbara didn't respond and went over and started helping with the food.

By the time they finished, Jim had come home from rehearsals. He saw his mother and uncle in the kitchen, already preparing some meals.

"Blueberry waffles? Bacon mac and cheese? Shrimp cakes? What is this, a last meal?" Jim jokingly spoke.

Barbara took a deep breath and smiled.

"Well, Lucas wanted us to have a nice and normal family meal. We decided to make some of yours and our favorites." She replied, trying her best to stay happy.

"Plus, we all have been so busy. We barely have time to have dinner together. I mean when's the last time we've really sat down and talked?" Lucas added.

Jim smiles, feeling happy to join in.

"I'll set the table."

After the family finished eating, Jim felt full and satisfied.

"That was delicious. I didn't think you two could cook better than me." The boy chuckled.

"Well, I mostly supervised the cooking, we both know your mom isn't a grade A chef." Lucas joked.

Barbara decided to let it slide because she knew it was true.

"Shrimp cakes? Gosh, I haven't had those since..."

"Your father made them for us?" Barbara finished the sentence for him.

"I thought you didn't want anything to do with him?" Jim spoke.

"Yes. you're right.. But, they were so good. I just couldn't help it." She smiled.

"Do.. Do you still remember much about him?" Barbara asked.

"I remembered how his beard would scratch my face when he hugged me. How he used to make you laugh." The boy replied.

Barbara remembered the good old times, back when James and her were a young couple, and when they first had Jim.

Everything seemed perfect.

Like the perfect happy family that had a happy ending.

Well, an almost happy ending.

Then, Jim frowns.

"But, most of all, how much he hurt you when he left."

"Jim, I'm sorry you had to go through all that." Barbara softly spoke and felt her eyes burn from the sudden build up of tears, though she tried her best to cry.