12

A few weeks pass and Ryujin immediately notices the shift in her life.

I've barely seen Toothless lately, she thinks to herself on her way to school. Due to Yeji's busy life and her vast group of connections, they've only seen each other for at least once a week. It's not that Ryujin is disappointed or anything, but she admits that she does feel a hint of sadness when she walks past Yeji's apartment and sees her living room lights off. It's also been quite a while since she's facetimed with Yeji and Toothless as well. She misses them more than ever, yet she's not sure whether or not she even has the right to.

In a routine manner, Ryujin finds her eyes scanning the flood of people by the entrance of her school, looking for a specific feline-eyed female. It's not until five minutes later when she perceives the sight of Yeji walking with the same guy from last time, most likely the man she's been texting and having dinner with.

Ryujin all of a sudden didn't have the energy to approach her anymore. She just sighs and makes her way to her first lecture. It's not like the sighting is new to her, she can get through this.

The day progresses slowly, as if the world really wants Ryujin to feel her emotions and pinpoint what she feels towards the brunette Hwang. And although she doesn't want to face it, she fears that she might have to in order to get over this predicament she's now in.

However, something that comes with being conscious of her feelings is only more hurt. Yeji's popular after all, there's no way to avoid it.

Thus, that night, she invites Chaeryeong over for a talk.

"I like Yeji," Ryujin says without missing a beat as soon as she opens the door for her best friend. No doubt, Chaeryeong's lips curves into a knowing grin.

"About time you realized, I was getting impatient." She brushes by the dark-haired Shin and enters the messy apartment. Chaeryeong lets out a motherly sigh when she takes in the whole environment. "Have you been using the cleaning supplies I gave you for Christmas?"

Ryujin, pressing her lips into a tight line, mumbles an answer, "No. I'm busy."

"Busy doing what? Sulking?" Chaeryeong shakes her head while picking up the empty candy wrappers. "I understand if you're not in the correct mental space for it, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to keep your home clean. You come back every night anyway."

"Understood," Ryujin frowns, helping her friend first before plopping down on her couch.

"So? Yeji's got your panties in a twist? I've never seen you like this," Chaeryeong says with a half concerned look and a half amused expression.

Ryujin folds her legs inwards and leans her head back, closing her eyes while facing the ceiling. "I guess. We barely see each other now."

"Because of that guy?" Chaeryeong asks and receives a nod in return. And due to that response, she massages her temples, then stands up. "I should get us beers. Do you have any?"

"Plenty," Ryujin drawls.

Hours after acquiring the alcohol and Ryujin spilling all her existing thoughts about her situation, they end up drifting into a slumber on the couch. Since they've always had spontaneous sleepovers in high school and they are now striving adults, they find comfort in this familiar act.

But unfortunately, Ryujin wakes up with her phone ringing. Chaeryeong's brows twist together while she stirs, yet she still remains asleep.

Ryujin doesn't check the caller ID when bringing the phone up to her ear. "Who's this?"

"Ryujinnie~" She recognizes that sweet voice almost instantly. Except, this time, the brunette utters slurred words. "Please come pick me up... I think I'm about to throw up!"