forty-three.

੭୧ 𝐩𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐫 ੭୧

The first thing I registered when I woke–up was a white hot, blinding pain behind my eyes. It throbbed relentlessly, like a drumbeat, loud and consuming. My muscles ached as I pushed myself into a sitting position, my head spinning and my stomach churning. My trembling hands shot out to grip the nightstand as I willed away the nausea, squeezing my eyes closed tightly and sucking in a deep breath.

My eyes drifted down to where Greyson slept soundly beside me, his arm sprawled across my thighs as Mellie slept soundly on his chest. Her body rose and fell steadily with his, each breath he took, she took in unison, her soft purrs filling the quiet air. The curtains had been drawn, and the faintest stream of light spilled out onto the floor, pooling near Greyson's arm and illuminating his tattoos, the way his skin seemed to glow as he slept peacefully, his hair a dark halo against his pillows, his chest bare and warm, a smile pulling at the corners of his lips.

Greyson's eyes fluttered, as if he could feel that I was awake, and he met my half–lidded stare with a sleepy smile. "Good morning, Firelight." His lips brushed against my knuckles before he scanned my face. "How are you feeling?"

"I think I may be dying," I winced, rubbing a hand down my face. "This may be your last moment with me, so cherish it."

His soft laughter filled the air, "I think you'll survive." Mellie stretched and yawned on his chest before hopping off of him and curling up at my feet, a loud, satisfied purr rumbling through her body as she did so. "I can't promise you'll be doing much more than laying in bed and eating greasy foods all day, though."

My brows furrowed, my fingers pressing to my temple as I fought another wave of nausea. "Don't talk about food right now, please."

Greyson pushed himself into a seated position beside me, his lips brushing against my shoulder, and the ache in my head seemed to melt away, at least a little bit, as my head lulled back to rest on his shoulder. "What about if I bring you coffee and a muffin?" His voice was gentle, and I knew it wasn't meant to be taken in an offer, rather more of a command, something he knew I'd enjoy. "Eating will help you, Piper."

My hand flew to my mouth as another wave of nausea crashed over me. "I'm gonna—" I pushed myself out of bed and darted across the room, barely reaching the toilet in time as I retched into it, my stomach churning painfully and the room spinning as I tried to take a steadying breath.

"You're okay." His hand ran circles across my back as I rested my cheek on the porcelain of the toilet.

I shook my head, ignoring the vomit-induced tears that streamed down my cheeks. "Don't come near me, Sunshine. I don't want to throw up on my brand new boyfriend." I peeked up at him, meeting his eyes before I heaved again.

His hand left my back as he slipped out of the room, leaving me to empty my stomach until there was nothing left to get rid of and my throat burned. I leaned back against the wall, wrapping my arms around my knees and resting my head on my forearms. The familiar feeling of Greyson's knuckles under my chin had my erratic heartbeat slowing as he pressed a glass of water to my lips.

"Drink." It was another command, and I lifted my eyes, allowing him to guide me to drink from the glass until it was half-empty before setting it down beside me. "Good girl," he praised, a hand threading through my hair and brushing it back. "Come on, let's brush your teeth and get you into bed, huh? You'll be more comfortable there."

My arms snaked around his neck, my legs wrapping around his waist as he hoisted me up, my cheek resting against his bare chest, his heart beating steadily in my ear, lulling me as he set me back down on his bed. His fingers brushed along my cheek as he pressed a soft kiss to the bridge of my nose before slipping out of the room, returning moments later with the same glass of water in one hand and a blueberry muffin in the other, my stomach grumbling.