twenty-nine.

੭୧ 𝐩𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐫 ੭୧

Cold wind whipped against me as I sat on the stone stairs outside of the gallery, my limbs tight and stiff.

The gallery had been...good, for once. Mr. Beaurigard had no outlandishly rude things to say to me besides the odd comment on my wind-whipped hair or smudged lipstick—both things I didn't mind, because they were from Grey.

But, as a quick glance at my watch confirmed, it was now eight forty-five, and Grey was extremely late to pick me up. At least, that's what he would have described as 'extreme' when it came to mid-October weather and dark streets.

I had tried to call him, but as I had realized several hours earlier when I tried to send him a text describing exactly how I wanted him to treat me after my shift, I had left my phone with him.

Leaving my phone behind wasn't too much of an issue. I wasn't allowed on my phone often during my shifts, and aside from sending Greyson incredibly non-work appropriate texts, it really didn't serve much use with me here.

Except when I was stranded outside the gallery for forty-five minutes and the lack of stars in the sky hinted at a rainstorm, soon.

Just as the first drop landed on my cheek, starting its cool descent down my face, the familiar sound of a motorcycle engine echoed through the night, and unsurprisingly, there was a motorcycle a few feet away just seconds later.

"Hey," I called out as I stood from my spot, smoothing out my sweater-dress and making my way down the stairs. I paused as I realized it wasn't Grey's black bike that waited at the foot of the stairs for me, but Cyrus' red one. "You're not Grey."

Cyrus handed me the helmet, sighing as I titled my head in silent request—a habit now, apparently—and reached over to clasp it shut for me. "Sorry to disappoint."

I swung my leg over the bike, using Cyrus' solid body to steady me before wrapping my arms around his waist, squeezing my eyes shut as he pulled away from the curb.

"Where's Grey?"

I felt Cyrus shrug against me as he took a right, turning into a small residential neighbourhood. "I don't know, said he was busy."

Nodding, I swallowed the unease that blossomed in my stomach, instead focusing on the things around me—the rumble of the engine beneath me, the mix of cedar and citrus that wrapped around me whenever I was around Cyrus, the way the stars seemed to twinkle a little extra bright than before.

It wasn't long before we were pulling into the driveway, and I was slipping off of Cyrus' bike, pulling my own helmet off and extending it to him.

My brows furrowed when he didn't get off of the bike. "The others and Max are at an event right now, so I'm going to head there. You can come, if you want, I just figured you wouldn't want to in...that." He gestured to my long, work-appropriate sweater dress.

Huffing out a laugh, I tucked the helmet under my arm, fishing my keys out of my small, black purse. "No, it's okay. I've got an assignment to do anyway. Thank you, though."

Cyrus offered a half-hearted goodbye before taking off, the pur of his engine disappearing into the night as I unlocked the front door and slipped inside.

The house was eerily quiet. Usually, Grey would be waiting for me, or the boys would be watching a movie or playing video games. But tonight, it was empty, the lights still off, the house still, the only source of light coming from the moon shining in through the window.

I shrugged off my coat, hanging it on the hook beside the door before moving to the living room, flicking the lamp on and tossing my purse on the couch. My phone sat on the coffee table, and I quickly grabbed it, opening Grey's contact.