twenty-five.

੭୧ 𝐩𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐫 ੭୧

Cool wind dried the remaining tears from my face, the scent of sandalwood and rain filling my nose. Grey's body heat radiated against me, warming my arm that was tucked in the crook of his.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" I asked, tilting my head to look around his shoulder as he navigated the dark outskirts of New York City. "I'm not sure I trust you enough to take me somewhere this far away from civilization."

He laughed, the sound sending warmth straight to my heart. "Not a chance. You'll ruin the surprise."

I rolled my eyes, smiling softly as I glanced around at the trees. It was quiet here, peaceful. The road was lit only by the headlights of the bike, the sky a deep purple that slowly morphed into an inky blue.

After a few more moments, Grey slowed the motorcycle, the engine quieting as he turned onto a small overlook. The moon hung in the sky, shining brightly as Grey parked and stepped off the bike.

I followed suit, letting him lead me to the railing that looked over the city. The buildings were illuminated, lights flickering in every direction. The cars looked like little fireflies, zooming through the streets.

It was beautiful, the skyline, but the sight was nothing compared to the boy next to me.

Grey stood a few feet away, his gaze locked on the view in front of us. He was gorgeous, the light from the moon casting shadows across his face and lighting up his eyes.

I stared at him, unable to tear my eyes away, until he caught me staring, a smirk forming on his lips.

"What are you looking at, Firelight?"

My cheeks flushed, and I shrugged. "Nothing."

"Nothing, hm?" He walked towards me, stopping when his arm brushed against mine on the railing. "I used to come here all the time with my dad."

My brows rose. Greyson didn't speak about his father often, and when he did, it was a topic he quickly shut down. "Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah. He would take me here and we would talk about everything and nothing. He'd point out the different constellations, explain them. They were some of the best nights of my life."

My heart warmed, imagining a younger Grey coming here with his dad. I smiled, leaning into his side and letting the silence settle between us, the only sounds being the rustling of the trees and the chirping of the crickets. "Thank you for bringing me here."

"Of course, Firelight."

I smiled, turning to look at him once again, and was surprised to find his eyes already on me. They were filled with so many emotions that I couldn't place, swirling in his gaze, the gold standing out among the brown. "So," a slow smile spread across my face as my tone shifted, taking on a teasing note. "How many girls have you brought here?"

He laughed, rolling his eyes. "None, actually. The only person I've brought here is Cyrus."

"Cyrus," I echoed, laughing softly. "I don't blame you, he's cute." I taunted, wiggling my eyebrows suggestively.

Grey groaned, tilting his head back as his shoulders shook with laughter. "Watch it, Firelight. Can't have you talking about my friends like that, can we?"

"Well, if the friend is Cyrus..." I trailed off as Grey's eyes darkened, his hand reaching up to gently brush a strand of hair away from my face. My breath caught, his gaze locking with mine as his touch lingered, his fingertips brushing over the skin of my neck.