4

The morning came sooner than I anticipated. When the first sunlight hit the walls of the bedroom, I got up as quietly as possible and walked out. I grabbed some breakfast and filled my leather bag with some supplies before heading to the stables. By the time I was done saddling Amaris, Caspen had woken up. He walked to the front door, waiting for me to pass. "Safe travels, little Eira," he said with a weak smile. I nodded not looking at him.
"Take care, Caspen. Don't forget about yourself okay?"
"I won't. Hopefully I'll see you soon. You stay away too long. I know you have to but try to come home sooner."
"Don't worry. They can't exactly keep me away from here." The words were more a fear than a joke.
"They would. You know that." I sighed, looking up at my brother.
"I do. Too bad we need them. Stay safe, Caspen. I'll keep in touch."
"Thank you. Stay safe, Eira. I mean it. No unnecessary fights, okay?"
"Can't make that promise. I bet I'll see Nolan the second I enter the meeting spot."

Caspen sighed and nodded. He didn't like the fights I held with Nolan. Not because he thought I was wrong but because Nolan would love a reason, any reason, to kick me out on the street, and then have me arrested for knowing confidential information. I mounted Amaris and had him gallop through the woods. The woods were very overgrown and nearly impenetrable. Amaris and I were skilled enough to ride through it without a problem, though it took us a lot of practice. Not a lot of people managed to get through the forests of Aeris. It made my region one of the most dangerous ones, due to the creatures hiding in the dark. It's why the Protector's meet has never been here. There was not enough space for the entire Protector's Guild. No open spaces big enough to house even a fraction of it. The forest was untouched. 

I rode on the main road for the biggest part of my journey before disappearing in a different part of the woods. It was about three hours to the north to enter Rydell's region, Atarah. The regions were named after the biggest city there. Aeris is bigger than Atarah, with more untouched forests. In Atarah, the forest starts to thin out into the grasslands more towards the northeast. I listened carefully while traveling through the bushes. Aside from the regular rustling of animals like birds or squirrel, it was peaceful. The sun was still rising, and the sky was turning blue. The clouds flew past, traveling faster that usual. An autumn breeze made me shiver slightly. The colors of the trees were brownish and dirty. It was this time of year that made me long the most to Drosera. The vibrant colors brought me joy as I rode through the forests. I used it sometimes to run away from my family and the palace. 

The palace I grew up in was beautiful. It always seemed to glow in the sun, was a safe haven and just comfortable. And yet, it could feel like a prison. After I had gone through my Royal Trials, after I had gained control over my star powers, but before I mastered them, Kiaan used to take me on rides through the grounds that belonged to us. They spread wide and far, almost to the mountains. My brother loved riding almost as much as I did. He definitely loved the competition we held every time we went together. The finish was always the same. A small waterfall hidden away in the hills. The road was long and tricky, crossing a forest almost as overgrown as the one I was riding through now. In the beginning, he would win. Every time he won. When I got older, I got better, smarter and started beating him more often. 

Our parents hated it when we ran off together. At one point they had threatened to ward us to the palace if we went riding without their permission again. A soft smile crossed my lips. I had proposed to Kiaan to sneak out without bringing the horses, technically not breaking any rules. It was his idea to turn in into a race. I won. He got caught. He was placed under house arrest for a week, two guards with him at all times. I had laughed so hard when I came home and found him sulking in his room. "Piss off," he had grumbled.
"Oh come on. This is hilarious. You tried to levitate out?" I had taunted him. I had mocked him for months afterwards. 
"I said piss off. You're lucky I didn't tell mom and dad that it was your idea to leave and skip our meeting with them and some stuffy old dukes."
"You really think I didn't tell them? Why do you think you only got a week?"
"And you didn't get punishment?"
"I didn't get caught. And they had told us not to ride without their permission again. I never rode. They couldn't punish me."