2

Far beyond the walls of Aeris, behind a thick, almost impenetrable part of the forest, stood a little cottage. The two story building was painted white, with big windows that had shutters and straw roofing. It had a beautiful garden with the most colorful flowers in the front, a small stable to the side and a single door. The pebbles that made the path crackled underneath Amaris' hooves. The morning dew was still on the grass when I arrived home. As I approached, the door swung open, Caspen limping through. The cane he used was bending a little under his weight as he leaned on it. He smiled widely when he looked at me, though the sadness was visible in his eyes.

"Little Eira finally returns home. How is my little sister?" he asks both with concern and joy.
"There is my big wimp of a brother. Well it's better now that I'm here," I reply, dismounting from Amaris. He chuckled softly, taking a few steps forward. I forced myself to not look at his leg, not wanting the reminder.
"Good. It's been too long," he sighed.
"I know. Almost like I have responsibilities that keep me away." I said it more like a sneer than a joke, a low blow from me. I started undoing the buckles on Amaris' saddle, not looking at my brother.
"Yes well, at least we can still see you." That blow was just as low as mine.
"Luckily yes. How has it been here?" Concern took over as I looked at Caspen.
"A little rough. We've missed you. Anwyn has been baking. Selling some goods at the market. She always bakes the cookies you used to make." My lips curled up at the thought.
"Then why are you complaining? They are the best."
"No, yours are the best. Hers are very good too, they're just not yours."
"And Raidne?"
"She's been quiet. She writes a lot, sometimes draws too. I don't know what though, she never shows any of it. She's embarrassed." Just like mom. It crossed through my mind before I could stop it.
"And you?" I looked deeply in his eyes.
"The leg's killing me. Back started hurting too. I'm happy that Anwyn and Raidne are growing up. They've been helping me a lot." I could see the hurt in his eyes as he said it. I nodded, trying not to think about the events that caused the damage.

I took off the saddle, reigns, and bags, and gave Amaris the free command. He slowly started grazing on the grass close to the flowerbeds. I carried everything inside the stable, and put it down on the first place I could.My bow and quiver were dropped next to it. The daggers hidden in sheaths underneath my leathers I kept on. Then I walked into the kitchen of the house, smelling freshly baked cookies. The cinnamon smell filled the room, and I savored it. From behind, I was hugged tightly. I had heard my sister come up to me, walking on her tippy toes."Eira! You finally returned!" Anwyn yelled happily in my ear. She didn't let go when I cleared my throat.
"Anwyn, hi," I smiled, ignoring the slight ringing in my ears.
"A hug and smile for Anwyn? I have to get in there quick before you run out of them both," Raidne laughed as she joined the hug. I closed my arms around them, hugging them tightly before letting go.
"Hi girls. it's been too long. How are you?"
"Oh, I baked your cookies. Tried at least. They are hard to replicate," Anwyn hummed. Her eyes sparkled with joy and pride. The yellow dress she wore twirled around her as she took the plate of cookies and showed them to me.
"Yes well , they smell amazing. I would love to taste them. How are you Raidne?"
"I'm good. I missed you." The light blue dress that Raidne wore had a few paint splatters on it.

I slowly let go and looked at my sisters. Anwyn had grown. Last time I saw her, she still had something childlike in her face, that was slowly disappearing. Raidne still had freckles on her face, even though winter was coming. Their golden hair was shining in the sunlight. Both girls looked a lot like my father, which made me smile softly. They both had the same round eyes, the curls in their hair and the soft, rounded features. Anwyn's eyes were just a different shade of blue compared to Raidne. The former's eyes were an icy blue, almost grey, while the latter had darker, deeper eyes. From the corner of my eye I saw Caspen enter through the front door and I smiled.
"Hey could you maybe get me some fresh lavender tea? We can have it with those cookies. I need to talk to Caspen," I asked. They both got the silent hint and nodded, walking to the garden to gather the ingredients.
"You need to talk to me? Am I in trouble?" he joked. I sighed and walked to the chairs that were standing around a big hearth.
"Caspen, I mean it. Please, sit and listen." My tone left no room for discussion. He sat down on a chair near the hearth. He put his cane against the armrest
"What is it? Is something wrong?"
"We need to talk about Anwyn and Raidne. They have come of age."
"No, no way. I'm not marrying them off-" I frowned at him, which made him stop his rant.
"What are you on about? Caspen, I am talking about the Royal Trials. They are 15 now." Dread filled his face as I said it. I held his gaze as he was searching for words.
"Those trials are dangerous, you now this."
"We were 10 when we went through them. And it's not like it's worse than Drosera's fall. Mom and dad would want them to do it." Our parents loved traditions. Caspen raked his hand through his hair, just as blond and curly as that of the twins.
"Mom and dad aren't here anymore. Neither is Kiaan." That's where I sighed, my gaze lowered.
"I know. But it's their right as much as ours. I remember what mom and dad told us."
"Yeah, follow the sacred words. Hold your head high, have faith in yourself, and nothing will go wrong. They are as much sacred words as they are a prayer."
"They were right. The Royal Trials are nothing compared to the one I had to go through as a Protector. But that prayer helped me through both Trials."