(009.) car rides and parties

₊ ° ˑ ✧・˚ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐑

₊ ° ˑ ✧・˚ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐑 . . ! ₊ ° ˑ ✧・˚
❝ that was the worst car ride ever and he thinks you're his girlfriend .. ❞ ˚₊‧ ⊹

I LAUGH AS SOON AS we step outside, "seriously, school project? mending bonds?"

"it's believable." he shrugs with a slight smile.

we walk over to rowan's white car, which was parked in front of the house.

"hey avery." rowan smiles, rolling down the window, "isaac?"

i turn to isaac who looked just as upset as rowan did.

"hi rowan." his jaw tenses as the sentence comes out of his mouth.

"who's jacket is this?" rowan asks, feeling the leather material as i step into the car. "it smells like really strong cologne."

"isaac's." i confessed, smiling sheepishly as i try not to turn red.

rowan looks back to face isaac who looked glum in the backseat, "what happened to my hoodie?"

"it's in the laundry." i replied, "it was getting dirty."

"the scent is gonna fade." he chuckled, starting the engine.

at that moment i could feel my face turn green and i had to keep my gag reflex to myself. i felt a kick to my back from isaac, this is gonna be one long car ride.

i could feel the unspoken tension between the two in the car. i dont know what exactly happened with them but hearing what katherine said earlier about isaac's thoughts on rowan, i was curious.

the rest of the car ride was silent, for the most part. the faint sound of the music made the ride less awkward, but rowan's quiet singing kind of ruined the vibe.

"okay," isaac says, breaking the silence as he reached over the arm rest to turn off the radio, "it's hurting my ears."

i shoot a look at isaac, earning an eye roll in return.

"chill, man." rowan looks back again, before focusing on the road in front of him.

isaac kicks the bottom of my seat for the second time trying to get my attention.

a few minutes pass by until the silence gets interrupted again.

"i need to fill this baby up," rowan pats the dashboard, "you want anything from the store?"

"im okay, thanks." i smile, as he turns the corner to the gas station.

"isaac?" he asked, before stepping out of the car.

"im fine." he responds dryly, moving to the middle seat.

"what is your problem?" i turn around swiftly, once i see rowan walk away.

isaac sighs dramatically, "nothing."

"can you just be nice? rowan's helping us."

"i am being nice." he emphasizes the last word, "i just had to turn off the radio because i couldnt stand him singing. i like the quiet and i know you do too, im doing us both a favor."

i couldnt help but laugh, "okay fine whatever."

rowan unlocked the car and entered with a bottle of coke and a bag of chips.

"you guys sure you dont want anything?" he looks at both of us, "this is the last chance."

isaac and i nod in unison.

"alright then."

-

"you sure you want me to drop you off here?" rowan asked, driving into the lot.

"yes, danny will take care of this." i smile, leaving the car, "thank you so much."

"yes ma'am." he winks, "and if you need anything, call me."

and then he drove off into the distance. the wind brushed against our faces.

"and if you need anything, call me." isaac mocks, as soon as he left, "that was the worst car ride ever and he thinks you're his girlfriend."

i glare at him as we walk over to the crowd, "he doesn't think that."

"well clearly he does, if he's been going around saying that." he mumbles.

"he what?" i stop in my tracks and my eyes widen.

i was stunned. seriously? rowan thinking we're dating and telling people. he's nice but i wouldn't go that far.

"yes avery." he scoffs.

"danny!" i yell, as i watch the three goons walk towards the van.

"avery?" danny questions, "isaac? what the hell are you doing here?"

"to accompany you guys before things take another turn for the worse." i answer, fed up with the smell of beer.

"averyyyyy," jackie giggles and slings herself over cole while slurring her words, "woahhhhh, do youuu wannnttt someee?"

"no thank you." i said, icked out, "why is she drunk?"

"how'd you guys get here?"  cole asked, holding onto drunk jackie's wrist.

"rowan." isaac says, "we're going home now."

"i thought you didn't like him?" cole asked, opening the door.

"i don't." he replies.

all of us got into the car and i was stuck in between mr. rowan hater and miss tipsy. the car ride back was quiet except the tapping noises isaac made against the window that replicated the faint music from the radio.

as we drove, i thought about the words isaac said about rowan. i contemplated it, it was either isaac actually looking out for me or isaac trying to ruin my life.

 i contemplated it, it was either isaac actually looking out for me or isaac trying to ruin my life