Chapter Thirteen

Comincia dall'inizio

I lower my voice so no one can hear me, though it seems unlike. Everything is too quiet. A pin can drop to the floor, and it would echo through the entire room.

However, I don't care right now. I only care that Carter understands what I saw and leaves me the hell alone.

"Finding my fiancé fucking someone on my bed and then telling her that he loves her happened, Carter," I snap, narrowing my eyes. My blood is boiling, spreading a flush across my chest and neck. "Don't act as though you care. If you did you wouldn't be cheating behind my back. You wouldn't be leading me on. I think it is more than clear that this is over. So, I'm asking you to leave alone."

I snatch my arm from his grasp and strut away from him. My heart is beating so loud, I don't understand how no one notices it. However, I feel better after facing Carter. I hope this would mean that he's off my back and leaves me in peace.

But that's another wishful thought because the next thing I know, Carter is raising his voice.

"Cassandra, wait."

I clench my jaw, hating the curious stares thrown my way.

"Let me explain," Carter says.

I exhale, swirling around to face him. "Just leave, Carter." I plead with my gaze but he's obtuse.

Instead, He's encouraged at my stopping in place. He marches toward me. "Please, Cass. You don't understand. It was a mistake. You have to believe me. I love you."

If being loved by Carter means I get cheated on, then I don't want any of it. I don't want his love, I don't want his respect or friendship. I don't want anything to do with him.

"I don't want to hear any of it, Carter," I growl. When he reaches for me, I step back and glare at him. I swear, if he tried to grab me again and stop me from leaving my cool facade would be gone and I would snap.

Badly.

"Just leave. There's nothing you can say now. I don't believe you. I don't trust you."

"Cass, baby," He begs in a beseeching voice. His body moves toward me again. I move back as reflex only to end up slamming against another hard body. My heart leaps out of my chest into my throat. Before I can swirl on my heels and apologize to the intruder, a hand lands on my hip and the familiar dark scent invades me.

Ryder.

Realizing that he's behind me this instant eases me.

"Leave," His tone is commanding, leaving no space for fighting.

I believe Carter is stupid at this point because he narrows his eyes at Ryder for a few seconds. His eyes are telling Ryder to back off, not to intrude. The picture is ridiculous. Carter looks so small next to Ryder, physically, powerfully, and energetically. In every sense.

And then, Carter shifts his eyes back to me and pleads me to go with him.

He's seriously ridiculous.

My body eases back against Ryder, liking the comfort and strength he's oozing off. His palm is secured on my hip as though he's silently telling me I'm here.

"I'm telling you to leave right now," Ryder commands again in the deafening silence. "And I don't want to see you here ever again, you hear me? If I ever catch you up here, out of your site of work, I'll fire you. Not only are you not doing what you're paid to do, you are distracting and harassing my employees."

My breath hitches in my throat as Carter clenches his jaw. He nods but doesn't leave before shooting me one last stare. I can read it easily.

I'm not giving up. This is not over.

It causes my stomach to twist. However, it doesn't leave me restless. Only exasperated. I wish he could let it go. He should know once my trust is broken, I'm not giving it back. He had his chance and lost it.

Carter leaves in silence while Ryder and I remain rooted in place. Once we don't hear his steps anymore, Ryder's booming voice comes back again. "Back to work. Nothing to see here."

Everyone snaps out of the trance and rushes to their desks.

Ryder's hand squeezes my waist and guides me to his office. I'm silent as I follow him with my head lowered down.

Once we get to his office, he closes the door and turns to me. He tilts his head, studying me before walking toward me and wrapping me in his arms.

My eyes close when I feel his strong arms latched around my waist. I bury my face against his chest and inhale deeply his addicting cologne. It's like a warm blanket falls all over my body, protecting every inch of me.

My heart burst with so much appreciation.

"Are you okay?" He whispers. His low voice sends shivers down my spine.

I nod without moving away from his chest. I love the sound of his pounding heart against my ear.

After a long moment in his arms, I reluctantly step away. Each time it is harder to move away from him when all I want is to be in his arms, protected.

"Thanks for that," I whisper to him, giving him a weak smile.

He cups my face and stares into my eyes. The unwavering attention is electric and magnetic. I can't look away from him. I'm lost in his dreamy gray eyes.

"You know I'd do anything for you, sweetheart."

I'm starting to see the lengths of what he's doing for me. I'm realizing how much he means every word. The realization makes my heart skip a beat.  

* * *

Hey! 

This might be the last update of the year. Anyway, I've been feeling hopeful and grateful this entire month. And I wanted to thank you for giving this story a chance, for voting, and adding this story to your reading lists. It fills my heart to know people are out there enjoying this. I hope this story helps you in some way, whether it is to find some meaningful words or escape from a tough time for a little while.

I wish you all the best in 2024!

-HFK