31. The realization

Jai

Jai

I woke up with Anika in my arms, just like every day since we got married. One of her arms was around my torso, and her face was snuggled into my chest. With one of my arms around her, she felt so tiny—my little princess.

I didn't want to move from there. Anika made me feel grounded, which I rarely felt these days.

I had been neglecting her due to my busy schedule—normal meetings and the ones my dad doesn't know about took up most of my time.

I had only told her half of the truth about my goal. Daman Malhotra, the mole in the company, had stolen a lot of money and was involved in illegal activities. But there was also something he did when I was nine, not to me, but...

I heard Anika mumble something, and then she snuggled even closer. She was so cute; I wanted to kiss her. I missed kissing her, and it might be my fault.

I got up slowly without waking Anika. She's usually awake by this time, but because she was still asleep, I didn't disturb her. I got ready and made breakfast for her. She preferred coffee over real food, but I insisted she needed a little food in her body as well.

After giving her a forehead kiss, as I always do before leaving, I whispered, "Bye, princess."

I reached the office on time. It was exactly 8:00 am by the time I reached my cabin. My assistant, Preeti, was already at her seat.

"Don't let anyone else come in other than Aarav."

"Sure, sir." she replied. I've had Preeti as my assistant since I came back from the States. Even though I don't always like her, she gets the job done, so I'm fine with it.

I left my bag and phone outside, as usual. I don't carry my phone with me when I'm at the office. I asked Preeti to give me my phone only when Anika, Mom, or Dad call.

I went into my cabin and waited for about a minute when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I said. I knew it was Aarav.

Aarav entered my cabin and took a seat. He looked at me with concern.

"You're scaring me, Jai," Aarav said. "What is this about?"

I took a deep breath and said, "I had one clear goal in mind when I became the CEO, and that was Daman."

Aarav looked puzzled. "Daman, the Managing Head? Why?"

I didn't beat around the bush. "I know about it, Aarav. I've known for a long time."

I could see him trying to control his emotions. This was a tough conversation for both of us.

"But—" Aarav began but couldn't seem to find the words.

"I came to check on you. You were too young to understand what was happening back then, but I knew it was wrong. I should have protected you." I admitted.