13. Secret cameras

Anika

Anika

Jai dropped me off at home last night after we discussed our plan to inform our parents about our decision to get married. Jai was eager to secure the CEO position as soon as possible, and I had no objections from my side.

Today, we were heading to both of our parents' houses to break the news. I took the day off from work, and Jai had opted to work from home.

I doubted he would get much work done, though. We were riding in an ordinary car, not one of his fancy ones. It was a Skoda, and I couldn't resist teasing him.

"So, finally, a normal car, huh?" I teased.

"It's my first car. I bought it with my first set of savings. It just feels like a lucky one," he explained, his words sentimental. The more time I spent with Jai, the more I learned about him and the hidden depths beneath his confident exterior.

When we arrived at my parents' house, my mom opened the door, clearly surprised by our unannounced visit. We hadn't told them in advance because I didn't want to deal with a hundred questions on the phone.

"Hi, Mom," I greeted her with a hug.

"Hi, beta. Hi, Jai," she greeted us warmly.

"You look perfect, Mom," I assured her. She always looked beautiful to me.

"Hi, Dad," I greeted my father, who was getting ready for work in my parents room.

"Hi, beta. What a surprise," he said, a smile on his face.

"We have another surprise for you in the living room," I told him.

"What is it?" he asked.

"See for yourself," I said as we both left my parents' room and walked to the living room.

"Hi, Uncle," Jai greeted my dad.

"Hi, beta!" Dad replied, his face lighting up. They began conversing about something, leaving me and Mom alone.

"So, what's with the surprise?" she inquired.

"Nothing, Mom. Can't I miss you?" I said, trying to deflect.

"Hush, you barely come to visit us," she said, her expression tinged with sadness.

"I hate the long travel, Mom, otherwise, I'd be here every Sunday," I explained. I loved my freedom but I missed my parents and living with them so much.

"Yeah, I understand," she sighed.

"So tell me what's up?" I asked her.

We gossiped a little about our relatives.

"Let me call Jai, and we'll tell you why we're here," I said.

"Okay," she said, excitement in her eyes.