2. Emotional blackmail

Anika

Anika

A couple of days later, my parents gave me a call , saying they needed to chat urgently.

Even though we all live in the same city, I rent an apartment close to work. But, I miss them. Even if I do see them quite often.

I reached my parents' place in like an hour and a half. I gave my mom a big hug once she opened the door, and there was my dad, who was busy watching TV just like always.

"Hey, papa," I greeted.

My younger sister, Varsha, was glued to her phone. She's in her last year of uni. Seriously, with her fashion sense, she's gonna soar high.

I went over and snatched her phone, just to annoy her. I mean, what's a sibling for if not to annoy, right?

"Ani, give my phone back."

"Nopeeee"

My dad cut in before I could respond to Varsha's pleas.

"I've got something important to talk to you about."

"Yeah, dad."

"We're done with your drama Anika, this time 'no' isn't an option," my dad said, pretty serious.

"What is this about?" Actually, I've got a pretty good idea. My marriage. I knew this day would come sooner or later, but I didn't think it'd come so quickly.

"Anika, you've got to get married!" my mom added.

"But why? I'm just 24. I've got so much I want to do, and I don't see how marriage fits into the picture."

"We need money, kiddo. If you marry some dude with a good social standing, it will do good for the company."

"But we're doing alright financially, papa."

"Nah, your sis wants to jet off abroad for studies, and the company's not exactly thriving either."

"But you said everything was okay."

"We're middle-class people, Anika. 'Okay' for us means it's barely running."

"So, I need to marry for that?"

"Yup, we've shortlisted a few guys for you. Just pick one," my mom said.

"Great" I muttered sarcastically.

"So, what do I need to do to change the topic here?"

"Just a pair of sneakers for me," my sister declared. I'm seriously gonna strangle this girl. The least she could've done was give me a heads-up about all this. I'm definitely having a chat with her later.

"No dodging this one, Beta. You've got a marriage in your future." Mom says

"But I'm not ready, mom. I just got my independence, and what if...?" A million thoughts were racing through my head. Marriage was a big leap, and marrying a stranger? Even worse.