9: labyrinth.

[ 🎄 ]

CHRISTMAS HAD FINALLY arrived and as people were celebrating with loved ones, snow dancing on top of the withered leaves from trees and the fairy lights glistening, Beomgyu sat on his sofa.

he hadn't done much in the past week since Aera's recital. he had been too upset, considering how he hadn't seen his parents in so long. his father moved away when he was younger, but his mother had been on a work trip for weeks now. it was lonely, especially with just Lilac in the house.

the past week, he hung out with Hueningkai and Yeonjun when they came back from the airport, the other two not so much since they've been with family for the majority of their weeks. Hueningkai and Yeonjun were busy today too as their extended family flew in for the holidays.

Beomgyu sighed, he had nobody to blame but himself. he didn't tell anybody about his empty home or his situation. so, there he sat with all the stores closed and all the time in the world indoors.

he would be going back to his part time job tomorrow at the coffee shop. he had taken a few weeks off due to the store closing for a bit to find a new owner. but, everything should be bustling like new for tomorrow's return.

"everything will feel normal again tomorrow." he hummed as he pet Lilac's fur.

from the distance he saw his phone light up with a notification displayed on his screen.

AERA

Merry Christmas!
read | 10:50 am

              Merry Christmas
                                                            read | 10:51 am

When are you going
to be home? I have a
gift for you :)
read | 10:51 am

at that moment, it hit Beomgyu. he glanced over at the single bag that sat next to the Christmas tree he set up by himself. he totally forgot to hand it over to Aera before distancing himself for the holiday. he just didn't want to put a damper on her holiday as well.

he sat with his thoughts for a while. he sat, petting Lilac's fur and dozing off into space before hearing his phone vibrate again.

I'll come over tonight,
is that okay?
read | 10:56 am

       I'll give you yours
      then too :)
      spend time with your
                                           family well today
sent | 10:57 am

Aera looked at the message Beomgyu had sent her with a questionable tone. she looked up to see her parents with a far distance from each other.

every year for Christmas was the only time of year when they lived all together. Aera only saw her father for a bit or her mother—but never at the same time ever since they got a divorce. this was the only time of year when they finally were all together—even if it was distanced.

Aera sat on the ground as her mother stood up to begin setting up the table for their morning Christmas meal.

"i can't wait for you to open your present." Aera's dad smiled. "how come you didn't give us a wishlist this year, though?"

"oh." she shifted her gaze to the ground "there's nothing i really want, i'm grateful for all i have." she smiled as her father side-embraced her lightly and walked to the kitchen to help his ex-wife.