8: foolish hope.

[  🌨️  ]

WITH PINK PEONIES clutched in the palms of the chestnut's hand, he walked down the aisle of the theatre, sitting in the third row as people continued to file in. the auditorium had become full of people all around—he didn't expect a recital to be so popular. or maybe Aera never told him, nonetheless played for him.

with the program clasped in his hands and the flowers in his arms, he watched the lights dim and the program about to start. to his side, he turned to see an older man sitting near him. he tilted his head to a small nod and looked forward again, as the older man's eyebrows furrowed at the flowers.

Beomgyu ignored the staring man and straightened his shoulders, clearing his throat. though Christmas wasn't for another two weeks, the room glittered with accents of the holiday. reefs above the stage, red bows decorating the staircases. outside where he had just entered, there had been glistening fairy lights.

there was nothing Beomgyu loved more than winter. the luminosity bouncing off of the snow and lighting up the night sky. it was dark outside—sparking the night owl inside of him that loved this time of year.

he smiled as he watched the seats filling up, all ready to see the girl perform. he didn't realize her skills were so popular—but he also didn't recognize anybody in the crowd. he thought at least some people would fill in the seats from her class but this time of year was busy for everybody.

his thoughts were soon interrupted as the lights dimmed and the illumination of artificial light glowed the girl walking onto the stage.

Beomgyu cheered and clapped alongside the other people in the crowd. he smiled as she soon made eye contact with the boy, a sense of confidence running through her fingers. she took a bow and sat on the piano stool. she placed the microphone close to her mouth and conducted a few finger exercises before playing beautiful high notes.

Beomgyu was in awe. he had never ever heard her play piano, let alone sing. but somehow, she glistened. she was so ethereal, the light bounced off of her dark, black hair and meshed with her long, silky, white dress. everything about her aura felt surreal to him. how could he be so lucky to call her a friend?

his mouth went agape and suddenly, it felt like all of the people surrounding him had disappeared once she sang her love song she had written. it was as though only him and her were in the room, as though she was so elegantly singing to him. she continued for so long, yet it felt so short and so perfect he didn't even realize ten minutes had passed by

until he felt his phone vibrate. he sighed as he was going to put it down, until he realized it was his mother who he hadn't heard from in weeks.

he was fighting an inter battle. should he leave and possibly disappoint Aera? or should he speak with his mother that he hadn't heard from in months?

and with that, he walked out without a sound and the peonies clutched in the palms of his hands.

he shut the doors behind him as he walked out to avoid making a sound. the cold weather hit him as he shivered.

"hi mom!" he smiled. "i haven't talked to you in so long, you've been so busy."

"i missed you, love. how is everything there?"

"it's good! i'm on holiday break for another few weeks but i'm at a recital right now for my best friend."

"hueningkai?"

"no," he chuckled. "he's not in town yet, but i'm with my new best friend. her name is Aera, i've been dying to talk to you about her."

"i cant wait to hear about her!"