CHAPTER TWELVE

As promised, Derek and I only talked about stupid stuff

As promised, Derek and I only talked about stupid stuff. Like my favorite color– which to his surprise isn't red. He wouldn't let it go either.

“I'm just saying, if red isn't your favorite color, you wouldn't wear it every day!” he said, throwing his arms in the air as if it would make his point any more valid.

Needless to say it didn't.

“It was my moms favorite color.” was all I said to that and he stopped harassing me about it immediately. I felt bad for lying, but I couldn't tell him the real reason I wear this color.

No one but Alaric knows the real reason I wear this color, and that's only because I accidentally let it slip when he walked in on me having a mental breakdown. A breakdown that I don't have very often- once a year at most.

My mom's favorite color was actually purple, and my dads was yellow. He didn't need to know that though.

Mine is black.

Now, most people would argue that black isn't a color and that it's just the absence of color- which they'd be absolutely right about, but that's exactly why it's my favorite.

I would rather be in the dark where one light shines the brightest, than be blinded by light and lose all sense of self.

It's why I prefer the moon over the sun. You can stare at the moon for hours– like I am right now– and still be aware of your surroundings. But if you were to stare at the sun for longer than 2 seconds- your eyes burn and you become blind for a little while.

And I promised myself to never be blinded again.

“... Band?” I only heard the last bit of his question, not realizing I had tuned Derek out.

“what?” I asked, taking a sip of the pomegranate Red Bull with an eyebrow raised in confusion. I stopped drinking from my bottle of whiskey about an hour ago, remembering that I still needed to drive my bike back home in about an hour and a half.

“I asked if you had a favorite band… “ he chuckled, his eyes squinting slightly in amusement. From here I could easily see the reflection of the fire dancing in his eyes and I have to admit it's a pretty intriguing sight that I can't seem to look away from.

Like a forest fire- you don't want to look, but just can't seem to turn away.

“depends on my mood, ” I shrugged, tilting my head to the side as I picked at a piece of grass.

“Sometimes all I want to listen to is Citizen Soldier, and others it's like All Time Low or Alec Benjamin-but there are times when I don't like listening to music at all.” I explained with a shrug and furrowed brows, turning my head to the ground where I saw a daddy long leg spider crawling by my hand.

Sliding my hand under its legs, I lifted my hand up in front of my face to watch it crawl around my arm, fascinated by how slow, yet so fast they were.