CHAPTER ELEVEN

As we pulled into the slightly overgrown driveway of the cabin, memories of before the accident played in the back of my mind as I parked my bike and just stared at the old summer home

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

As we pulled into the slightly overgrown driveway of the cabin, memories of before the accident played in the back of my mind as I parked my bike and just stared at the old summer home.

I remember my dad pushing me on that now vine covered and dilapidated swingset that's in the back yard of the cabin. my mom would bring out her famous lemonade and chocolate chip cookies while dad and I chased each other around the yard, playing superheroes and villains.

I was always the hero.  Captain America to be specific.

My how naive you were back then, little alice…

I remember my mom reading me bedtime stories as the stars and the moon shone brightly over our heads, leisurely swinging back and forth on the hammock that's now torn to pieces thanks to wild animals and the weather conditions over the years.

I also remember Dad would always have to carry me back inside the house after I fell asleep. As I close my eyes, I can almost smell his earthly smelling cologne. He always smelled like pine needles and cinnamon.

Taking a deep, shaky breath, I took off my helmet- letting it rest on the fuel tank as I slowly dismounted my bike. Derek walked up beside me as he eyes scanning our surroundings in awe.

“This place is… it's…”

“Beautiful.” I answered for him and he nodded. “You can take a look around while I air out the place if you want. If you go upstairs, don't go into the first bedroom on the right, please.”

He nodded again, following me to the front door like an excited puppy. He was practically jumping around in excitement and I didn't understand why. It's just a cabin.

For someone who looks like a walking danger sign, he's almost the opposite...

I usually try to come here at least once a month to air out the place, sometimes more if I'm having a really hard time. And the last few weeks have been one of that hardest in the last few years.

As cruel a thought it was to myself, as soon as I opened the door to the 3 bedroom cabin, I half hoped that my parents would jump out and say ‘haha gotcha! We aren’t dead!’, but I know better.

I let Derek walk in first, still needing a minute before I could walk through these halls of broken, bittersweet memories. He turned around when he noticed I hadn't followed him in, looking at me confused.

"You comin'?"

Taking a deep breath, I nodded, stepping through the threshold of the small cottage home. Dust and the smell of aged wood wafted through the air as I took tentative steps toward the leather couch that's covered with a large cloth. Much like the rest of the furniture in this place.

I watched Derek intrigued as he moved around the living room, the thud of his leather boots echoing around the wooden walls. He hasn't said anything or asked me about what happened earlier, and I was somewhat grateful.

Moonlight जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें