Chapter 12:To Recognize

Waking up the next morning is painful. My head feels like it's going to explode at any moment, pulsing non-stop, like a racing heart. The dark room is the first thing I see as soon as I open my eyes, and I'm very thankful for that. I can't say for sure what time it is, maybe it's already dawn. The curtains are dark, and the sun's rays barely enter here when they are closed. I reach over to the bedside table, to turn on the light of the small lamp next to me. My eyes quickly catch a pack of medicine and a glass of water.

Valentina.

I smile at her act. She cares a lot about me, I need to remember to thank her. And ask her to forbid me of drinking so much the next time we have dinner together. My eyes reflexively open. Did I really just think about repeating last night with her?

Heavens... The world is crazy.

I take one pill from the packet, which I believe is for headache, and drink all the water in the glass. I'm very thirsty. I think alcohol causes this in people. I lie down again to rest for few more minutes, before getting up to shower and get ready. I still have to go to the appointment with Dr. Alice and I confess I would like to cancel, but I know that I have many things to vent on her.

My whole body relaxes when I get under the hot shower. It's always relaxing to take bath like this, right after you wake up. I've been in the habit of bathing after waking up for as long as I can remember. My mother always said that I also had this habit when I was just a baby, that I was only calm and happy after taking a bath in the morning. I've never been in the habit of waking up late, but there are exceptions, of course.

I wrap myself in towel and close the blinded of the box. I feel renewed, a new woman. My head doesn't feel like a racing heart anymore, and I don't feel like ripping it off. I smell good and ready for a new day. I leave the bathroom with a small smile on my face as I feel the smell of soap fill the room. It smells great and leaves my skin soft. Valentina uses a different one, but it smells just as good as mine. She always takes care of everything when she gets out of the shower, it's impossible to not notice.

When I'm picking out a new piece of clothing. I hear my phone vibrating somewhere in the room. You can hear it because the house is quiet, and I remember leaving it on the headboard the night before. I grab a pair of tight sweatpants, a long-sleeved shirt, and leave the closet, only wearing panties and a bra. I go to my phone and, before I even pick it up, I see two "Mi suerte" messages appear on the screen.

Mi suerte:

I changed your appointment time to 2pm. Forgive me for doing this, but I didn't know if you could wake up early.

I left your breakfast ready. Did you take the medicine I left on the bedside table? Drink plenty of water if you're not feeling completely well.

I was about to complain about her changing the appointment time without telling me, but I got a fright when I checked the time and realized that it was past noon. It looks like I actually blacked out last night. All that wine didn't do me any good, I must avoid it from now on. I leave my phone on the bed and get dressed quickly, just running my hands through my hair to straighten it out. I pick it up again, intending to reply Valentina, but before I can, she sends me another message:

Mi suerte:

I was starting to get worried. Finally, you woke up, sleeping beauty.

All good?

I:

I understand your concern, I was shocked when I realized how long it took me to wake up.

Yes, I'm fine, and thank you for scheduling another appointment time for me with the psychologist.

Mi suerte: