Chapter 21:My Person

Tuesday, December 8

Once again, I'm sitting on the couch in front of my psychologist's arm chair, who is jotting something down on her clipboard, as usual. I'm feeling great. Today I woke up happy and lighter. My son went to spend the day at my best friend's house, because Toni begged for him, and I came to the appointment alone. Unfortunately, I still don't have the confidence to drive, so I had to book a car from the app. To my sadness, I couldn't count on Valentina either, as she to get to work early. Here I am, about to tell her the latest events.

- "Sorry for the delay. My secretary bought this new clipboard and it needs more information than the previous one, which has been a lot of work."

I smile in understanding.

- "All right, no problem."

- "How are things, Luiza?" Dr. Alice asks and looks at me though her eyelashes, under the lenses of her prescription glasses.

My instant reaction, when thinking back over the last few days, is to crack a huge smile. I haven't been able to control my happiness.

- "In a general sense, we are getting better and better. Each day is like a fresh start, always better than the last."

- "The huge smile is full of untold things. Want to talk about?"

- "I just feel good, because things are getting better. Every day, I learn more about Valentina who I don't remember and I'm getting more familiar with my routine."

- "That's wonderful to know. I'm so glad things are getting better," she says and jots down something on her clipboard. "And with your wife? Or should I call her by name?"

- "She's, my wife. I still haven't fully gotten used to the fact that I'm married and I don't remember, but I'm relaxed about my marriage. A big part of the cause of my smile is her. I realized that if it was someone else, everything would be going wrong."

Dr. Alice seems really surprised to hear me say that, but she keeps her comments to herself as she takes more notes. I understand the surprise because, in the last consultations, as much as I made it clear the improvement of my coexistence with Valentina, I never referred to her as a wife and I did not let her do that. I have no reason to try to erase the fact that I'm married to Valentina, because that's what we are. We're letting things take their time. I find myself happy that, more and more, I only feel-good things about her.

- "That's a very significance progress. Getting along is the best way to help your re-adjustment. I'm glad for this progress."

- "I'm also very happy. Ever since we talked about letting her into my life again, things have been easier. Oh, we spent the weekend in Miami at her parent's house."

- "Seriously? And how did it go? Did you feel good?"

- "It was great. Despite a small disagreement between Catarina and Valentina, the days were pleasant. She took me to a place we used to go when we were younger, filled with memories. It was like walking into a private movie theatre about my life with her."

- "I've noticed that, more and more, you speak of it with joy. This evolution is really important, know that."

- "I know. Hm, we..." My face heats up, and I freeze, before I tell her that.

Dr. Alice smiles sideways and stares at me suspiciously.

- "What?"

- "We kissed, and this time it was real kisses. Many kisses."

- "Many?"

- "Several. I can't help it. Every time she presses me against somewhere, or when we're alone and she just stops next to me, I have to keep myself from letting go of her mouth."