Chapter 17:Familiar

Even before I woke up, I already felt that something was wrong, like an emptiness. I couldn't explain it for sure, but I could get my answer the moment I opened my eyes. I turned around just so I can look to the side and confirm the obvious: I was alone in bed. I sigh and am about to go back to sleep, but I am surprised to notice something on the bedside table. A smile instantly appears on my face. I shouldn't have been surprised, after all, but I was.

- "Valentina Albuquerque... Will you ever cease to amaze me?" Without removing the smile from my face, I sit on the bed and turn the lamp on, so I can get better glimpse of the tray. There is a fancy breakfast, apparently prepared just now, as smoke came out of the coffee and the smell of eggs with bacon is quite evident. My stomach soon compliments the meal, before I even try it.

I begin to enjoy my breakfast, as if it were the first time, I tasted those things there. Funny how everything seems with an extra touch when done with care. It's obvious that Valentina prepared the tray with love. If someone had told me a few weeks ago that I would be like this today because of a simple breakfast she had prepared, I would probably suggest therapy to anyone.

Totally contrary to the Luiza of the past, here I am, completely delighted with the treatment I'm getting. And come to think of it, it makes sense that I fell in love with her before. If she has always treated me that way, it makes perfect sense.

I'm almost done with the meal, when something on the television cabinet, next to the built-in fireplace, catches my eye. I take the last sip of the orange juice and place the glass on the tray, pushing it to the side. I get to my feet and, as I get closer, I realize that there are some CDs.

What's on those CDs? I'm afraid they're inappropriate, but I don't think so. Valentina left them upstairs for some reason, hoping I'd find them. They have acronyms on the cover, and one of them makes me more curious because it's highlighted: L+L+V= LOVE.

I sit on the edge of the bed, after putting the CD in the player. The screen goes black for a few seconds, but soon the image of little Leo, sitting between my legs, on the bed, emerges. The smile could not be contained. I love seeing things from when my son was younger.

- "A good day full of love with my beautiful family. Today, my little one and I came to wake up Mama Luiza with coffee in bed." It's Valentina's voice. She's recording Leo and me on the bed. My little one seems very entertained with something on the tray. I look at her, crack a smile, and wave at the camera.

- "Can Mom put down the camera for a few minutes and come have coffee with us? What do you think, son?"

Leo, with a piece of bacon in his mouth, clapped his hands excitedly and nods. Valentina and I laughed. I feel my heart warmed by our image in such a beautiful moment, even if simple.

- "What my loves want, my loves have." She quickly approaches in the bed, joining us. The camera is flipped down for a few seconds as I listen to the sound of Leo crackling and laughter. "You're very jealous, boy. This woman is mine too, okay?"

She goes back to recording where we are again, and now- Leo stares at her, sulking. I cackle, amused by the clear scene of jealousy of the little one, with his mother kissing me or trying to kiss me.

- "Tell Mom that now I'm all yours, son."

- "All ours," Valentina counters, making the little one throws himself at me and continue to stare at her a lot, as she comes closer once more to kiss me. "And specially mine."

- "Stop it now, before I hit you," I grumble, after pushing her back, hugging Leo, the proceeding to ignore her. The little one seems to enjoy seeing his mother sulking and claps his hands.