Chapter 3:Selfishness

You know when we feel our heart warm in some way? That's how I feel about my parents. They seem to be having fun as they prepare dinner. I am very happy to see that nothing has changed between them. Even after so many years, their mutual love still feels the same. Their relationship has always been my inspiration, ever since I was little, and I longed to have a marriage as happy as my parents.

Is my marriage to Valentina like this? Or at least comes close to it?

I can't believe I'm thinking about it, but I am curious. I very much doubt that I would have married this woman and spent so much time by her side out of comfort or just because the child we have together. Our marriage must have been, at the very least, happy. It amazes me that I spent so much time with her without filling divorce. I come back to reality and snap out of my thoughts when I feel a tug on my blouse, followed by an adorable voice in the background. My eyes meet this cute little boy with his green eyes and huge smile. I think it's amazing how he has traits of me and hers, it's scary. And I have no idea how that's possible. Hi little one.

I smile at him, not even caring about his weight as I bring him into my lap. Leo seems to love it, grabbing my neck with a strong warm hug. I still Can't explain how I really feel knowing that I am a mother, but this child somehow seems to give me hope for better days.

- "See Mom I smell great," he says as he walks away, tilting his head sideways so I can inhale the smell in his neck. When I inhale his smell, it's like I am experiencing some kind of déjà vu. I remember that smell well, it looks a lot like the perfume I used wear when I was younger. It's always been my favorite.

- "Mm" It smells like that, "I am wearing your favorite perfume". "Mommy bought it and gave it to me as a gift". I knew that smell. I raise my eyebrows, surprised that Valentina knows this, but it was to be expected, after all we've been together for a long time. Living together makes us get to know people, right? I believe she knows and remembers a lot. I envy her memory; I was I had mine too. It's sad. "Your Mommy made a great choice," I tell him, and the smile doesn't leave my face. I feel like someone is staring at me and I look around, finding Valentina standing with her shoulders on the wall, watching us. Her hair is damp and combed back, thrown in anyway. A smell of freshly taken bath feels over the room and she flashes a huge smile on her lips, looking quite happy to see me interacting with our son. It's too weird to think I am married and have a child. I still feel like I am sixteen. All of this is surreal, and it's going to make me a while to get used to it. I look away from her and turn my attention back to Leo. He's excited and doesn't stop talking about his day at school. He said that he is also excited for Christmas. I pay attention to everything he says, my heart racing. This feeling of loving him is very good, and it has not changed even with the lack of memory. I will follow Dr. Kauan's advice and try to live my life as normally as possible. Who knows, so my memory decides to come back? Valentina decides to join my parents and help them with dinner. When she passes us, she gives the little one a kiss on the forehead and then leaves. I am still there, with Leo. The rest of the night goes- by so naturally, nothing seems out of place, and realizing this is as weird as it was waking up naked to the idiot this morning. Anyone who looked at our interactions from the outside would confirm that we are a happy family. But I don't feel connected to them, I say... to her "Dinner was delicious" and my parents spared no praise for the spice of Valentina. Mom made a point of complimenting her all the time, stressing how good a cook and exemplary mother she is. It made me even more curious to see her. My parents seem to love her too much. They get along, it's visible. I just want to remember how it all happened to get us here, how things fell into place that way. I just want to know how we got to this point of our life, how it all started between us, when the feeling arose, every details. I want to know everything so I can understand what made me love Valentina Albuquerque.