New Year's Eve Troubles

(Continues from Christmas Day)

Paxton

For five days, Maria and her brothers have been sleeping here. At first, I was excited until I realized Mickey snores in his sleep. I love Mickey because he's my brother from another mother, but I can't take this anymore. Carefully, I slid out the covers and slept on the couch. And that's how it's been for this week. I sleep on the couch while Mickey sleeps on my bed. 

"Boys, get up. We're going shopping," Mom announces, flickering the lights.

"I'll pass," I tell her.

"Not an option, sweetie. It's 2 in the afternoon," She says, pulling me off the couch.

"No!!" I shout, holding onto the edge of the couch.

Mom gives me one hard push, and I let go, falling into her arms. I sulk as she carries me downstairs with Mickey behind us. 

"I got the last of them," Mom comments, walking into the kitchen. 

"She abused me!!" I accused, while Mom shrugged and Maria laughs

"Maybe you should've woken up like I asked you," She says, handing me a bowl of cereal.

"Won't the stores be closed? It's New Year's Eve," I remind.

"Child, we have our ways," Mom says, handing me my shoes. 

"Don't make me go," I whine.

"Car, Paxton," Mom says.

I roll my eyes but head out to the car, sitting in the way back by Michael. Maria got in the passenger while Mom got in the driver's seat.

"Are they sleeping?" I question, turning to Mickey, and he nods.

"Where are we going?" Peter mumbles tiredly.

"Walmart. One thing per person," Mom says, pulling out of the driveway.

"Does it have to be a food?" I question, unlocking my phone.

"No. But your budget is under $50," She says, pulling into the parking lot.

Mickey and I run toward the entrance, almost tumbling over an older person. I help the man while Michael runs past us.

"Sorry," I mumble, running after Mickey.

"Stick with a buddy!!" She yells.

"Lego section?" I question, and he nods.

"RACE YOU!!" He screams, running in the direction of the Legos.

"CHEATER!!" I scream, running after him.

"Mickey!! That's the second old person you've run over!!" I scream, turning to look behind.

I turn forward, running into an older woman. The woman bends down to help me.

"I'm so sorry," I say, tilting my head.

"Auntie Laura?" I question as Mickey runs past us.

"Sorry, I got to go," I motion to Mickey, and she smiles.

Unfortunately, I lost, and Mickey rubbed that in for the rest of the day. Peter, Mickey, and I all got a Lego Set. And then we had to wait 30 minutes for Maddox to pick something to buy. He kept going down each aisle three times.