Chapter: 44

Alex's POV:

I stood leaning against the wall of the waiting area in the hospital.

Zoe had been in the ICU for over an hour now and though the doctor had reported that the surgery was going fine, I couldn't relax until I saw her myself.

There weren't many people in the hospital - just a few nurses and doctors roaming the dimly lit halls with polished floors. Even the waiting area was occupied by just me, Elijah, Marie, and Cody. And a tad bit of tension.

Elijah was sitting in one of the chairs, staring into nothingness. He hadn't said a word since Cody and I got here, but I couldn't blame him. I knew that as much as Zoe had resented him in the beginning, they both had grown on each other now.

Marie was pacing restlessly, anxiously biting her nails. Given the hour, I had expected her to be tired, but no such sign was evident on her face. She paced as though the energy in her body had no limit.

Cody was sitting in the chair beside me, frequently glancing up at me as if making sure I was okay. After I stitched up his wound, we returned the gemstone to Jeremy who briefly thanked us before hurrying back home, claiming his father would kill him if he found him outside at the late hour.

Now that the gemstone was no longer in my possession, I felt as though another weight had been lifted from my shoulders, but there was still anxiety running through my veins, and I knew I wouldn't be able to relax until Zoe was okay.

I thought back to yesterday when she opened up to me about her parents and I realized just how torn she had been yet she still put up with everything this journey brought without question. I thought about how smart she was and how she took control of things back in Eamon Barre's mansion when the smoke knocked me, Cody, and Elijah, unconscious. I thought of how she deserved so much better than what life offered to her.

Thinking of all these things brought tears to my eyes. I felt Cody touch my elbow in consolation and quickly blinked them back, but he knew better. When it came to me, he always knew.

My thoughts were interrupted by the buzzing of my phone in my pocket. I thumbed it out and drew my eyebrows together in confusion when I saw the ID before answering.

"Jesse?"

"Oh, thank God, Alex, I've been calling you for hours," my mother's sister said frantically and I winced, my supernatural hearing caught off guard. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. What's wrong?"

She took a deep breath as if she was struggling to speak. The tone of her voice put me on edge, and I feared something was seriously wrong. "Look, it's a long story and I'll tell you the why's and how's when you get back here, but..." she let out a distressed sigh. "Troy shot Xander."

For a moment, I froze, my mind struggling to comprehend her words. Then, I heard myself say, "What?!"

My voice came out louder than I had meant it to be, but I didn't care. I felt as though my heart had suddenly stopped beating in my chest and the tears I had blinked back before came out again, rolling down my cheeks.

Everyone was staring at me in confusion, but all I could think of was Xander's face the night Dad held a knife to his throat. That terrified look in his eyes was sure to haunt me for the rest of my life. I thought Dad or Troy wouldn't hurt him because that was low even for them.

I was wrong.

"Look, Alex, I can't explain more. You need to come down here. He needs you," Jesse told me and I nodded, momentarily forgetting that she couldn't see me.

"I'll try," I said before hanging up. As soon as I did that, the tears relentlessly left my eyes, my throat tightening by the minute. A sob escaped my lips and I closed my eyes, hoping the pain would go away, but it didn't. I couldn't lose Xander. I couldn't.

Ever since I was introduced to the supernatural world, my only concern was the safety of my friends and family. They were all exposed to so much danger because of me, and I knew that if I lost any one of them, I would go insane. That was why I gave Zoe and Elijah the chance to back out. That was why I sent Cody to warn River and Xander of potential assailants.

And despite everything I had done, here I was - so close to losing my best friend and my little brother.

I couldn't help but think that it was my fault. It was my fault they were in this mess, so I should've been the one to protect them, but I failed and it hurt so much, that I almost wished I had died at Ryan's hands. At least then I wouldn't be such a failure.

"Hey, sunshine, what's wrong?" I heard Cody whisper and opened my eyes to see him standing in front of me, looking down at me in concern. I shook my head and buried my face in his chest, releasing the sobs trapped in my throat.

"Troy shot Xander," I murmured against his chest, still crying hysterically. It was embarrassing, but I couldn't help myself - there was too much pain in my heart.

I had thought defeating Ryan would be the end and that everything would be okay, but Dad's motives never crossed my mind again. I needed to get back to Toronto as soon as I could, but seeing Zoe's condition, I wasn't sure how that was possible.

"It's all my fault," I cried. "I should've been there to protect him."

"No, Alex, stop," Cody said pleadingly. "None of this is your fault."

"They were there for me, Cody," I said, trying to control myself. "I was the one they were looking for."

"Hey, look at me," he said, gently craning my neck with his hand so I could face him. He looked at me with such softness, I felt as though something in my heart was melting. Wiping my tears away with his thumb, he brought his face closer to me and whispered, "This is not your fault. You couldn't have been in two places at once. You do not have to take account of someone else's actions."

Despite myself, I nodded, my cries now quieted down. "I need to get to Toronto. I don't know how-"

"I'll fly you back," Marie interrupted, and Cody and I pulled back to look at her. "I'll fly you both back. Elijah can stay here. I'll come here later and when Zoe's ready to be discharged, I'll bring them both back."

"No," I immediately answered. "No, Marie, I can't ask you for that kind of-"

"You saved Zoe's life," Marie said. "I owe you that much." I stared at her, unable to voice my gratitude. After a moment, I nodded and she offered me a warm smile. "I'll give you both some time to gather your things. Meet me near the jet. I'll get you both back in Toronto in half the required time."