Chapter: 02

Alex's POV:

The wind was still blowing when I reached a small clearing in the woods, where I usually came to train. The tall trees formed a circle around it, the space inside free of any bushes as though it was made specifically for me. The fallen leaves decorated the forest floor, crunching beneath my feet when I stepped on them.

I put my bag aside and shrugged off my hoodie. The cold autumn wind hit my bare arms, making me shiver.

I walked to the middle of the clearing and started my stopwatch before pocketing it. I relaxed my tense body, letting energy flow through me. Closing my eyes, I let my other senses take over me. I could hear the wind rustling the leaves, water flowing in a nearby river, and the birds chirping.

I was now beginning to catch the scent of the rain which meant I had about an hour until the first rain would pour down.

Since the wind was blowing, I focused my senses on that element, stretching my hands open. I felt it happening. A tingling sensation crawled on my arms. The wind focused itself on me, and I felt it circle me. The wind caught my hair and blew it back, pushing against my body. I kept my feet planted on the ground, bracing myself for the next part.

The wind blew stronger and circled me faster. I drew my eyebrows slightly and the tension started returning to my body at the intensity of the wind. I wanted to back down, but I willed myself to go through it. The wind always wanted to control me. I couldn’t let it succeed.

My head was throbbing now. I grunted as I struggled to stay upright. After a few minutes, the energy started to abandon my body, leaving me weak. I groaned in frustration. I hated how fast my body got drained whenever I focused too hard on using my gifts. I could only train for so long.

The wind was dominating me now, taking advantage of my decreasing energy. I felt its impact on my body and staggered back a step, struggling to keep my balance. Part of me wanted to hold up, but before the wind could crush me completely, I opened my eyes and shut my focus. The wind immediately slowed down and continued blowing lightly in the direction it was going before. I let out a breath and fell to my knees, exhausted. After a moment, I took the stopwatch out of my pocket to see how long I had resisted it.

Barely three minutes.

I sighed irritably, throwing the stopwatch aside with such force that it broke. I wished I was capable of training more and having more control over the wind. Out of the three elements I could manipulate, you would think fire or water would be the hardest, but I had mastered control over those two years ago. It was air I could never control. It refused to be sustained and boldly countered anyone who tried to do so.

Frustrated, I picked up my bag and got to my feet before putting my hoodie back on. I was planning to train more than that but I also knew it was risky to get myself to focus on one element when I was in such a mood. I learned that the hard way.

I sighed and walked out of the woods. As I stepped on the sidewalk, I pulled my hood over my head, blending into the groups of people. The sky above me was starting to darken with clouds, and the wind blew colder, indicating that it would start raining soon. I kept my eyes on the paved path ahead of me, trying not to focus on how the excessive amount of people was triggering my instincts and senses. Too many voices, too many scents, and too many emotions.

I sighed in relief once I got some space. I was about a mile away from home when my instincts shifted again, causing my feet to stop and twitch to the side. I drew in my eyebrows and turned my head to the side. It was an old and worn warehouse, its paint fading as a result of exposure to sunlight over the years. I had passed it many times before but this time, something inside me was trying to push me toward it. I looked around and then back at the warehouse, biting my lip.