12

Ash and Peter eventually reached their roof and immediately climbed into bed. Today had been exhausting for them. Peter went straight to sleep, but despite being exhausted, Ash couldn't. She lay there, perfectly still, thinking. Just like she usually did when she couldn't sleep. Thoughts were flowing through her mind like a clogged up pipe. She was stopping to decipher every single thought she had, though there wasn't much success in figuring out anything about the thoughts.

She did everything as usual: thinking about what her life would have been like without HYDRA, wondering what she was doing wrong to make her life like this, wondering who would remember her after she died, wondering how long it would be until her inevitable death, wondering if Peter would ever like her back.

She spiralled further down into her thoughts. Had Juni and Bo forgotten her? She didn't think she got any texts from them, but decided to check anyway. She pulled out her phone and looked in the notifications. Empty. It had been a few days since they'd last talked to her and weeks since they'd seen each other in person.

Juni and Bo didn't go to Midtown. They went to a school on the other side of the city. They had each other, they didn't need her. She started to feel tears stream down her face at the thought, so she got up and walked over to the edge of the roof and dangling her legs under the railing. She watched as the stars shone brightly and the clouds moved along slowly in the soft wind. Ash always thought of the stars as people, the ones who wanted to leave their mark on the world. The ones who worked for it.

Ash let the wind blow her hair around her face and pulled her hoodie tighter. She loved the sounds of the city. The occasional cars going down the moonlit roads made her feel at ease. After a while of sitting there, she walked back to bed and laid down next to Peter. Ash let her eyes droop and finally drifted off to sleep.

(A/N - another short chapter bc I think it would sound better if this one and the next chapter are split up)