Lucius looks as shocked at my thought as I am. He didn't expect me to say that. Neither did I.

I hadn't given a thought to my kid's appearance, it didn't matter. But it does when they'll become a reminder of the most horrifying day of my life.

“It doesn't matter, sweetheart. They're your kids, who they look like doesn't matter.” He stroked my arm gently.

“But I- I don't want them to look like him…” Tears gather in my eyes as I kept looking at my father to tell me my concerns are unnecessary.

“It doesn't matter-”

“What if they turn out like him? What if they- They can't be monsters. They can’t - I can't see that- I…” I break into tears as my brain pounds against the skull.

“They'd never be like him. They're gonna have a great upbringing, they'll know the difference between right and wrong.” He spoke slowly. He knew I needed time to process.

“What if I fail to tell them that? What if they start questioning who their father is? What if they get to know who he is and they… they meet him and he… he spoils their mind? What if he teaches them everything that I don't want them to learn?” I don't even know what I'm saying at this point but all of concerns feel valid to me. “I can't have them see him. He's bad. Lucius, I'm telling you, they can't meet him. My kids won't be safe with him. What if it's a girl or two or even boys… Men like him don't care what gender they are or if they're his own kids-”

“Shh... It's okay.” He rubs my back. “Nothing's gonna happen to your kids. We’ll keep them safe. They'll never know who he is and they'll never ever meet him, I promise you. And you're gonna be the best mother to them, no one will be able to spoil their mind.”

Lucius was too sure of his words. But he can't predict the future. He doesn't even know who he is.

“What if he finds out I had twins. He knows me, he could come back to get them and what if he takes them away...” I start to really panic now.

His face darkened and he looked at me like he’s gonna mean every word that he's going to say. Like he knows it will be true.

“He's never gonna come back in your life. If he does, I'll kill him.” I was immensely relieved hearing him say that.

I believed what he said.

And I took his words as a promise.

I know he's capable of killing him for me. No matter how much I consider murder a sin, I won't stop him from committing one to ensure the safety of me and my kids.

“Adeline,” I realized I was too caught up in my own thoughts when he called me. “It was a time that passed. Try to forget it like a bad dream that's never gonna repeat.” I just nod because I can't speak a single word right now.

He grabs my hand again. “I was thinking of it for a long time. Since you have nightmares… Do you want to maybe start therapy? I think it will be good for you.”

“No.” I say immediately then contemplate on the thought. “I… I don't think so. I think I'm doing quite well. My nightmare isn't always about what happened. And I… I try to not think of how my babies were conceived…”

“If that's what you want then that's what we do. But you'll tell me if you change your mind, okay?” He spoke so softly that I forgot why I ever disliked him.

“Yes.” I give him a weak smile.

He wiped my tears with the pad of his thumbs and kissed my forehead again. “No more crying. You've already had too much for a single day, you won't stress yourself again.”