The Day I Helped

While my brother was busy with the second girl he loved, and had made plans on bringing her with her son to our parents' place for the Christmas. I couldn't be happier for him than this.

As for the fight that happened on that snowy day, which I never learnt how it was settled. But the following day, I saw three girls who had targeted me with lemon cake, baked sweet potatoes and spiced rum on my doorstep.

"We are sorry, Mr. Homer." They said in their green dress that reminded of the old Santa elves movie

Phillips had moved, past me and accepted the peace offerings with one mind. Leaving me alone to face the girls.

"Tell your mother I said, thank you." And that was how that issue was resolved with the girls coming to see me, behaving well under my brother's watch, who was still angry at their little game, but came around. I got to learn their names and how did they did ballet, foxtrot and other ballroom dance, also how well they managed their heat. I got to know their father paid for that, and was currently out of the country.

They showed me and Phillip, who offered to dance with them and ended in a pool of silliness as they fell to the floor, exhausted and giggling their hearts out until Freda came to pick them up.

"I'm so sorry for getting the girls to do that. I meant for it to be a surprise but—"

"I'm fine." I cut off her apology. "It would take more than frozen water to kill me. It would be embarrassing to tell the dead how I died. Might as well, slip on a banana."

She laughed and smiled. "Thank you, Jarrod." she said, before following after her kid's footsteps to their door.

That was it.

The little time I spent the three children remembered how I used to long for one. With that, I stood in front of their door on Christmas Eve.

Rana opened the door with Nisha, the last born of the house. Their eyes widened and they ran inside.

"Uncle Jay is here." Rana yelled and I stepped in to see Freda and Becky, the first child in front of Christmas tree covered in balls and light decorations.

"Merry Christmas in advance," I said to them as they dust their fingers and I extended my hands to them.

The children rushed to take the large gift bag that held wrapped boxes of different size for them and shook the ones that had their  individual names.

"What's inside?" Nisha asked.

I knelt to her level and shook my head. "I have no clue. It's much of a mystery box." I winked at her and she giggled before joining her sisters to place them down under tree like the rest.

Freda adjusted her bead bracelet on her wrist and walked right up to me. "You shouldn't have done that." she said.

I shook my head. "It's the least I could have done. God knows I received from you."

"Those things must be expensive." she said.

"It didn't put my bank account in red if that's what you are asking. Smile and have some Christmas spirit, you look like a troll." I told her.

Her face struggled to remain stoic until she laughed.

"Do you need help?" I asked her, smelling good aroma from the kitchen.

She gave me a cunning smile then shook her head. "As a matter of fact, I do."

And I followed her and helped them tick the last of their Christmas to-do-list instead of staying at home, hid behind curtains and kept myself far from the world. I was doing well for someone, who lost his wife on the twenty-four of December.

I could see her smiling at me from heaven.

It was a great day.