15. Safe Place

Avantika was served a toasted bread and a cup of tea as she requested in her room. She had already lost her appetite at the thought of going back to the Jaiswal mansion.

She was in a daze when Viraj opened the door of the passenger seat for her. The drive was slow and silent. Viraj happened to recall a incident when he had stopped for a cup of tea by the roadside tea-stall. He looked at his wife, who was lost in her own shell. He wondered if she ever had a hearty laugh.

"How about a cup of tea?" he asked out of nowhere and she looked at him, startled.

"Tea? Where?"

He smiled. "There is a small tea stall nearby."

She nodded and looked ahead. Viraj soon stopped the car by the roadside tea stall. He opened the door of the car to step down and she too followed him. Unknowingly, Viraj's eyes searched for the couple that he had encountered the last time, who happened to share a cookie. He smiled at his silly thoughts and ordered two cups of tea and two pieces of cookies.

Unaware of his raging emotions, she concentrated on devouring the cookie and sipping on the tea.

Her heartbeats peaked up as the Jaiswal mansion was visible from a distance. Her tension flowed in waves and he could feel her restlessness. He sighed and slowed down the car. She was startled and looked at him when the car came to a complete stop.

"What's wrong, Avantika?" His voice was full of concern.

She blinked at him once and looked down, and shook her head in denial.

"Are your scared?" He asked again.

She took a moment to respond and again shook her head. He looked at her timid form for a brief moment. Her fears were completely justified. He knew where she stood and he also was aware that it would take time for her scars to heal. She had seen Samar on the verge of death and he and his family was responsible of her life-long trauma. He could not expect her to trust him any given moment. The trust needed to be build, and the base at the given moment was nowhere.

"No one will hurt you. I Promise." He uttered with sincerity and she looked up at him. Slight moist was visible in her big dark eyes.

"I can't say that you need to trust me, but atleast give me one chance to prove that my family means no harm to you. You are as important to them as you are to me. And if you still need time, I can call for a driver here, and he will take you back to the farmhouse or to your parents, wherever you want. I will come back to you in two days time, once Mikhail is better."

Avantika could not believe that he was ready to compromise to this extent. She decided to keep her fears at bay and give him a chance. She could always have a chance to call her Karan Bhai and go back. He deserved to be trusted atleast once.

"Lets go." Her timid reply was not enough for him to start the car again.

"Are you sure? I can always drop you to your parents."

She thought for a moment. The choice of going to her parents' place was more appealing than facing the angry Jaiswals. Her young mind was seeking safety over a challenge.

She sucked in a sharp breath, not knowing how he would react to her wish.

"Can you really drop me there?" Her question broke something within him, but he managed to pull up a small smile. Instead of replying to her, he ignited the engine and turned the car towards Shekhawat Mansion. Her comfort was everything for him. Her reluctance to step in Jaiswal mansion was justified. He wanted to give her enough time to know him better and understand him.