11. A Wife

Samar looked at her with puzzled features.
It was never that a girl asked him, what he thinks about her. Avantika was too carefree around him and knew that he loved her however she was.

Samar parted his lips and contemplated over the situation. Reva looked at him hopefully and realized that he was not sure what to respond. She smiled and looked down for a moment only to look back at him.

"You See, I know I might sound silly. But I noticed you the day you joined. It's not that I don't have any friends. I have plenty, but I want you too, in my friends list."

Samar nodded and looked away. The unsettling feeling in his heart did not fade away and he still was not completely assured by her words.

"It's my birthday today. Can I ask for something?" She whispered and Samar again looked back at her and nodded halfheartedly.

Reva gave a dazzling smile.

"I know, you are smart enough to know what I am hinting at. May be we should get to know each other, spend some time and see how things proceed? I have a feeling that we can be comfortable in each others company."

Samar held her gaze for a mere moment.
"And... What makes you think so?"

Reva tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. A shy blush coated her cheeks.
"I have seen you from the day you joined. You are silent yet intimidating. There is this strange mystery that follows you and it attracts me to you. I mean, I am so talkative and bubbly, while you are calm like an ocean. We really complement each other. You will understand that if we spend some time together. You will slowly realize that we can complete each other."

Samar was amazed by her bold words. He had not expected her to take such a progressive step and ask for a chance with him. He momentarily went into thinking mode and brushed his fingers in hair, giving away his frustration.
He knew, as an independent woman, Reva was just trying to display her feelings. He was also aware that these feelings should be nipped at bud.

He sighed deeply.
"I am honoured that you find me worthy enough. But we hardly know each other. It's true that sometimes we take an instant liking to someone, and sometimes, hours spent together do not help in understanding what is going on in people's minds and lives. You just see the calm that surrounds me. Someone else has seen me in worst pain and turmoil. You have just seen that mysterious aura, someone has explored it in every way possible. I can't be unfaithful to someone who has never been anything but a true wife in every sense. I don't want to give you any false hopes. I am already married and I owe my sanity to her. I don't know if we would ever become friends, but I don't look forward to any other woman than her. I am sorry."

Reva was gobsmacked by the confession. This was the longest anyone had heard him say. He was so honest with his emotions that she could feel his uneven breathing even with that distance. Reva knew, though he talked about his wife, there was a lot that had happened in his past, and she knew, he might never share it with her.

She blinked her unshed tears and looked away.
"Where is she now?" She asked curiously.

Samar did not feel like answering that question.
"It's very late. I should get going."

He did not wait for her reply and swiftly left. She kept on looking at his retreating figure and her heart swelled up for falling for a man that respected his wows. Though it was a small, very small encounter for them, and she accepted the fact that she absolutely had nothing chance with him, she was content that at least the man she admired was a good and honest human being.

Back in his quarters, he lay down and gazed at the ceiling above. A lot had happened and he was still not ready to shape his relationship with Radhika. He did not know what brought him to disclose that he had a wife. A wife that he could never even communicate to, back in the mansion.  But he did not have the heart to deny the fact that Radhika had pushed horizons to bring back his lost respect. And she did that selflessly. He respected her and honored her. But he was not sure if he was ready to give the status of his wife.
That was a huge responsibility. That involved his and her entire life.
He had left behind a big tragic past, and it was not easy for him to overcome the heartbreak.

After tossing and turning all night through, Samar made up his mind.

Next day, Samar applied for a week's leave. He requested that he wanted to visit is hometown and would leave the same night.

The same night, Samar found himself on the train that was taking him back to where he came from.
Samar got down on the platform after a long and tiring journey. He looked at the familiar surroundings and breathed in deeply. Though he had made up his mind and was already walking along on his hearts way, his mind was still contemplating the probability of a fair future that he was responsible for providing Radhika. With a heavy and burdened heart, Samar took a horse carriage to his destination.
The short journey was full of thoughts. Anticipation of seeing her after three long months clouded his mind. The carriage stopped at the familiar doorstep and Samar pulled a smile on his features. He pulled a small duffle bag on his shoulder and paid the carriage owner. He breathed deeply and looked at the door that was open, though there was no one in the sight. He walked to the door and knocked lightly.

Hearing the knock, Radhika's grandmother walked out, wiping her hands on a kitchen towel. She halted in her tracks, looking at Samar and then her eyes suddenly welled up.

"Kunwarsa!" The old woman whispered, joining her palms, in a gesture of greeting.
Samar's heart filled up with warmth. He could not forget the love and care this simple family provided in his time of need. He bent down to touch her feet and the overwhelmed old woman could not help but slide her shaky wrinkled fingers in his luxurious hair.

"How are you?" He asked.

The old woman was merely able to nod with a wide smile.

"Radhika is in the backyard." She informed elated.
Samar blinked at her and nodded.

He removed his shoes at the entrance and walked to the back of the small house. Radhika was sitting there, in the weak morning sun, peeling a pile of garlic. Her hands were working on their own accord, but her mind was lost thinking something.
Samar looked at her from a distance and he could feel the tension around her. She was still the same, or probably, he never really noticed her enough.

"Penny for your thoughts?" His deep voice resonated and she was startled.
She raised her head to look at him. Her lips parted slightly and her eyes could not believe what she saw. The shock was evident on her face.

Samar gave a small smile and walked closer. She shakily raised herself from the ground and her eyes slightly misted. She blinked rapidly to get rid of the moisture, but it was too late as Samar was already aware of her situation.

He looked away to hide his own embarrassment.

"Radhika?" They both looked towards the house, from where her grandmother was calling her.

"Are you going to keep him waiting in the sun? He is not used to it. Bring him in and prepare something for him to drink. He must be tired after the journey." She hailed from inside the house.

Radhika looked back at Samar and he was trying to analyze her.

She could not form any words and gestured him to step in the house. When she recovered her initial shock, she looked at him again and this time he gave a small smile.

Radhika rushed inside and went straight to the kitchen. She hugged her grandmother and sniffled lightly. She did not want it to be a dream and watch it shatter with open eyes. It was after some time that much composed Radhika walked in the room where Samar was. He had changed into a fresh pair after a quick shower.
She handed him a cup of tea.

"How are you? How is your hand? And your job? Is everything good for you there?" She asked in one breath.

He held her gaze for a mere moment.
"You want to know everything right now?"

Radhika bit her tongue and looked down for being so vocal. She did not realize that she was still not confident around him and his presence, like always was intimidating.

------------------------------------

Another chapter up.
Vote and comment
Love