17. Birthday Gift

No one knew what made the Crown Prince so happy that day.
Karan came down running in search of his mother. He knew he would find her in the pooja room. He halted at the threshold of the Pooja room and looked inside. The room was filled with warmth. His mother was sitting on the floor and making her offerings to the idol of Lord Krishna. The tall idol and the entire room was beautifully decorated with long garlands of marigolds. Two tall brass lamps were gleaming proudly. Karan smiled and took off his shoes before entering. He kneeled beside his mother and folded his hands with closed eyes. He knew, the almighty would bless his twin with utmost happiness. His mother looked at him and gave a sad smile. She wished her other son too, to be there with them to celebrate the auspicious day.

Karan opened his eyes and looked at his mother. His eyes were shining with happiness. Next moment, he stood up and bent down to touch her feet. She lovingly threaded her fingers in his hair.

"Happy Birthday." She whispered, trying to maintain a facade for his unwavering smile.

He smiled wider.

"May the almighty fulfil every wish you have. Stay blessed and healthy." She added, knowing very well what his only wish would be.

Karan kneeled in front of her and chuckled, holding her hand in his. He kissed her upturned palm.

She could not stop a single stray tear that left her eye and she looked away. Karan wiped her tears and turned her face to make her look at him.
"The day calls for celebrations. Will you make some Kheer for me?"

She blinked at him. Looking at him smiling after a long time, made her heart flutter. She could not deny the small request.

Karan rushed to meet his father and take his blessings. He then visited his ageing grandfather and touched his feet. His father too, was surprised to see him unusually happy.
The wise old man could see the glint of happiness and felt a warm rush of emotions. Karan was startled when his grandfather held his hand and pulled him to sit beside him.

"Is there something I should know?"

Karan made no effort to hide the shining moisture in his eyes. He lightly hugged the old man he was instantly pulled inside the warm embrace. He felt as if he was a child again. He felt as if he never wanted to grow up. It was the moment he knew, he had done enough and now did not want to take up the responsibility of anything. He wanted to take a step back and wanted everything fixed for him.

He let the warmth seep in him for another long moment and pulled back after a deep sigh. His grandfather held his face in the hollow of his palms and pressed a warm kiss on his forehead.

The staff was surprised when an order of lavish spread for lunch and dinner was placed. It was a long time since anything royal was cooked in the mansion. The family had been too disturbed to think of good food. 

Meera stood up from the wicker chair in the balcony when she heard him enter the room. She knew, she could not be the first one to wish him, but wanted him to let go of everything and live his day. She was skeptical when she walked to him to gauge his mood. He looked up at her and lightly pulled her in his embrace. She was instantly filled with relief and closed her eyes.

"Happy Birthday." She whispered, unsure.

To her utter surprise, he chuckled. She instantly pulled away. It was a long time since she heard him laugh. Though it was not actually a laugh, it was something to start with.
His smile was contagious. She smiled and pushed back his unruly hair on his forehead.

"What makes you so happy today?" She could not stop herself from admiring.

He kissed her forehead and asked her to rest until the breakfast.