Chapter 13: Finding the lost

Jay's POV

I stealthy moved between the trees. My eyes darted towards the sun which was peaking at me from behind the hills. The sun was almost gone but still no sign of Jessie.

My stomach was growling like a wild beast but I wasn't going to eat. No, I won't eat until I found Jess.

Did I make the wrong choice with the little race? Should we actually be having a race in a situation like this?

I got to admit that I was very non serious that day. It was because I didn't realize that my happiness can be taken away from me just as easily as it was given.

Horrible thoughts crossed my mind as I moved forward. Did our pursuers catch up with Jessie? Was she in trouble? What if something hap- no stop Jay, be positive.

I quickly brushed my thoughts away when a bush near me suddenly started to rustle. I reached into my inventory and searched for the sloppy wooden sword I crafted yesterday.

The rustling grew and so did my heart beat.

The twigs and dead leaves crunched loudly under my feet as I advanced towards the bush. I drew my sword and let out my signature warrior cry.

A little chicken hopped out from the bush, halting me half way through my attack. Due to the sudden halt, I lost my footing and fell. The chicken clucked and jumped on top of my head.

How embarrassing. I wouldn't want others to see me like this.

I got up and straightened my collar while The chicken made itself comfortable on its new found throne: my head. Irked by it's actions, I tried taking it off my head.

As soon as I lifted the little white bird, it clutched my hair tightly with it's claws, not letting my hair go. The more I pulled the more it tightened it's grip on my hair. Finally when the pain became unbearable, I was left with no other option but to let it stay. What an irksome chicken.

An abrupt scream filled the air, making me jump in surprise. It sounded familiar.

It was not a scream of fear or agony but a message of help. It was a call for help.

My eyes widened at realization of the source of the scream. Jessie.

My legs started moving automatically. A single scream showed me the path. A path to what? Something not good that's for sure.

My hands got caught in vines as I ran. Those thin green vines, dangling from a tree, tightly wrapped around my arms and torso. How in the world did that happen?

I didn't had time to think or question, not until I found Jessie. With all my might I tore myself away from the vines and continued running in the direction I assume the scream's source was.

'Just be alright Jessie. I am coming.' kept repeating under my breath.

My feet suddenly skidded to stop as I neared the edge of a ravine. A second later would have resulted in me falling down the, what I presume by looking at the darkness inside, a bottomless ravine. Though that would be an exaggeration because I could see a part of the stone ground around the little patch of lava.

My throat felt dry at the thought of Jessie ending up down there. Did she fall? Was she really down there? Maybe she was somewhere in the forest. I mean it was only one, lengthy scream. It could have been from anywhere in this area.

Cluck! The little white chicken finally decided to leave it's throne, flapping it's wings as it hopped onto a rock.

To my surprise, as the rock slid across the stone ground it created a loud Clank sound. I studied the rock, now identifying a sharp tip end and a long round handle. I quickly picked up the stone sword which was blending in with the rocky ground. It was Jessie's no doubt.