Chapter 8: The fortress of doom

Jessie stealthily moved through the corridor. The blue torches casted a creepy blue light on her face while half of her face was covered by the shadows. Her intelligent green eyes darted across the corridor, studying every single detail.

Jessie's POV

It feels like I have been wandering these corridors for over an hour now. Every turn I take leads me to a dead end. This is the last corridor I haven't gone through yet and I am pretty sure this one would lead me to the exit.

All the corridors I have been to had weird rooms, not that I have entered any of them but the signs gave me a good idea of what could be in there and I am sure I don't want to see that. I could see the corridor coming to an end, followed by a big hall. The hall was filled with blue torches and had a glass dome roof. There were paintings on the glass but it was hard to see because of the black vines that were crawling up the walls and roof.

Black moths fluttered around the hall as I stepped in, making way for me. I expected to hear the thumps of my boots against the stone floor instead, I heard crunches of dirt. There were lines drawn on the floor which connected at the farthest side of the hall. The line went inside a dark tunnel at the end.

Suddenly thumps of footsteps approaching the hall from one of the tunnels brought me out of my trance. I looked around frantically until I found a broken bench to hide behind. I peeked through the space between the broken panels of the bench and saw Null emerging from the tunnel along with someone else who had red eyes and was wearing a white cloak, followed by a scientist.

"What is the situation Dr. Anderson?" Asked the man in the white cloak. 

"I have taken blood samples of him and tried to study it. I haven't gone far but I have observed an unknown activity in one of the cells." The scientist replied. He handed some papers to the cloaked person. "Here is the synopsis of the early tests we ran. There are more to come." For some reason, the cloaked person looked familiar. I think I saw him in Lukas's book too.

The cloaked person skimmed through the papers then passed it to Null who just kept it in his inventory without even looking at the papers. "We know they are the twins so what is the use of these tests and all to confirm that?" Null asked with a bored expression. The twins? Why do they need to run tests for confirmation? This place is nuts.

"This is a very fragile situation Null, we can't afford a mistake." the cloaked person replied.

"And what did you do with the boy - Jesse?" Null asked. I listened to the horrifying information I was getting here. "I injected him with a sleep potion because we were going to use the machine on him. The process is done, he should start regaining his old memories in an hour or so after he wakes up." Anderson said as he adjusted his glasses.

The cloaked person gave a hum, "Good, you can go now." He said to the scientist. "Everything is going just as planned Entity." Null said after the scientist left.

"Yes, so far so good." Entity agreed. "But what about the other jesse?"

"What about her?"

"I have done my job with the boy now it's your turn." Entity replied casually. Null gave a frustrated groan then continued "But that girl is such a twit." I clenched my teeth in anger at Null's words.