Chapter 3 - Leah

The painting of the female being pleasured on the wall next to me shakes, then falls to the ground. The wood smashed to bits.

Confused, I look back at the super outside. He's stopped running. His attention on Irel and myself. When he waves and blows us a kiss, a pressure in the air thickens.

I watch as the male's face whitens in horror before he darts off from where he came.

"Shit!" Irel curses before closing the curtains and backing away.

"Irel, what's wrong?" I ask when she stumbles back, tripping over a dining room chair. She doesn't accept my help when I try to give it.

Was I not supposed to ogle at that male? There is no love loss for Derrek, the bastard. I could understand if he was protecting, but he wasn't. I saw the joy on his face when he ended that young man's life. He did it because he enjoyed it. All those nights I heard noises has had me thinking these past few weeks. Were those noises of people being murdered? Tortured? Sliced to pieces?

Standing up, she brushes off the imaginary dust from the front of her dress. "Yes, yes, I'm all right. Now, if you don't mind, I need to get going. Something's come up. And if you would refrain from drooling over the males outside of your home, that would be perfect. You never know if he has a mate. That wouldn't be good for you on your first day living here, would it?"

Still baffled, I go along with her for the time being. That can't possibly be the reason why she freaked out. "I'll try my best. Thank you again for everything, Irel. Am I still able to call you in case I need help?" I hope I didn't screw up the only friendship I've found since moving here.

Irel's face lights up instantly. She goes to grip my hand before thinking otherwise and planting her on her hips. "Of course, Leah. I wouldn't want you freaking out over something trivial. Now, you get settled in. I will call you tomorrow and see how your first night was. Until then." Cheerfully waving goodbye, she lets herself out. Before the door shuts, she turns around. "Go with the flow, Leah. There are things about this house that even I don't know about. You won't be harmed." A slow grin spreads. "In fact, I'd say you're about to have the time of your life if you simply let go." With that, she turns and leaves me all alone.

Reality sets in when the quietness consumes me. I have no fiancé to talk to over a steaming plate of steak, potatoes, and green beans, or cuddle on the couch and watch movies. Looking back on those peaceful nights, I remember how I would overlook certain things.

A speck of blood on his pristine white shirt, the firmness of his fingers on my shoulder as he held me closer than usual, or the way he'd roughly fuck me into the couch as if he was driving his anger through his cock. I was the one he was sexually punishing instead of killing another.

For the first time in years, I've spoken to a female unrelated to my ex-fiancé or his coworker's wives. I'd forgotten what it's like to have a life outside of Derrek.

Never again will I let a male tell me what to do or how to live.

Standing by the window, I contemplate opening the curtains to bring in the warm natural light. Not wanting to chance getting in a fight with a female super, I step away and begin a personal tour of my home.

I wasn't able to check it out before purchasing. It was a take-it-or-leave-it situation. Irel had loads of images, but unless you buy the home, you are not allowed within it. They used to have showings, and if someone's bid wasn't accepted, there was a high possibility the house was destroyed.

Irel said dragons have a tendency to burn things down when they don't get what they want. When the realtors and banks had enough of that nonsense, they created a rule that no one knew where the house was located until after the purchase. In the end, it typically works out for everyone. However, there's always that one person who thinks they are above everyone else and complains about being unable to walk the halls before buying.

Turning toward what I believe to be the master bedroom, a door shimmers into place on my right. Knowing I shouldn't touch it, I do exactly that. My hand doesn't go through it. The ridges are rough and uneven around the frame.

"Curiosity killed the cat, Leah. Don't open it." Taking my advice isn't something I'm known to do, which is why I was engaged to Derrek.

A shiver races down my spine. It's not fear. Derrek isn't here. He can't harm me here. The seers will know beforehand and prevent him from attacking. Right?

A brush of heat against my back has me jumping at the door. Is this what Irel spoke about? Does this heat have anything to do with the comforting pressure at the dining table?

When the door handle turns, hot lips press against my neck. Squirming as pleasure pulses through my clit, my feet shuffle and trip right through the open doorway. Hands snatch me up, preventing me from face-planting against the hard...sand?

Squinting my eyes, I stare at the floor. It's sand. Purple and red colored sand. The hands pull me into an upright position.

"Who are you?"

There's no voice to go with the hands or lips.

"It will be hard for me to converse with you if you don't talk or write out what you want." Brushing off the imaginary dirt on my stomach, my attention is drawn to my surroundings. "Holy shit!" I whisper.

Stunning silver water ripples for as far as my eyes can see. Spinning around, I see trees and vegetation. "Where the hell am I?" I shriek. There's no door to my house. Nothing! I'm standing in sand on what might be a deserted island. Without exploring, I'm not optimistic.

**************

Advanced Chapters are on Ream! Link is on my page.