"I will have trouble falling asleep until I find out that she is safe."

"Okay. I'll see to it personally. It is likely that she checked in at her previous Airbnb accommodation."

"Probably, yeah. If she's not there, find her."

"I will." He answered, then left me alone.

Mom and Max both said I should let Sweet have some space and time to think. I guess they were right. But it was incredibly frustrating. I couldn't stand waiting, especially in situations like this, when I had no clue where I stood. It was like being in a black hole of uncertainty. I'm hoping she'll let me explain at some point.

Fuck! My brain went nuts, and I got all paranoid.

Suppose she refuses. What steps should I take? She was really mad and said she doesn't want to talk to me anymore.

That's something I definitely don't want to happen. I'd move heaven and earth for another chance with her.

I sank onto the couch and hit Sweet's number once more. When she didn't answer again, a feeling of despair washed over me. I experienced intense rage and frustration, as if my world fell apart. I disliked the feeling. It was like hanging on a cliff with a thin rope. It was driving me insane. I've never experienced this kind of feeling before.

I spent the next hour walking back and forth in the living room. I stopped to text and call her. I've been blowing up her phone, practically begging for a response. But still no answer.

Sweet

It turns out that everything was part of a carefully orchestrated revenge plan. His audacity left me in shock, causing me to fall in love with him, only for him to cruelly shatter my heart.

What a bastard! He played me for a fool by making me believe he changed. He's a big fat liar. He broke my trust. A leopard never changes its spots.

I was super mad, couldn't even think straight. I told the cab driver to take me to the closest bus stop going to Dansville.

Once inside the bus, I closed my eyes. It overwhelmed me with sadness and I couldn't stop crying.

How can I be this dumb? It all made sense. No way a hot billionaire would fall for a small-town girl like me. This kind of thing only happens in fictional books and movies.

My phone started ringing. It's Sebastian, once again. I silenced my phone and turned off notifications.

I didn't want to talk to him. He'd just charm me and make me believe all his lies that he totally forgot about his revenge scheme.

He fooled me once, and I wouldn't let him fool me again a second time. We're through.

I thought back on the moments we spent together. We went to a shooting range on our first date and had a blast riding an ATV on our third date. The memories of our first kiss at the cottage and sharing a bed for the first time. His nonchalant reaction to that mind-blowing kiss was painful to contemplate.

I sighed, recalling the moment he cooked a fantastic, intimate dinner for me in his penthouse on our fifth date. His extraordinary effort to impress me left me in disbelief. I finally understand the true motive. His intention was to make me fall in love with him. He achieved his goal, because that night, I started to have feelings for him.

Lies. Every single thing was a lie. Now, he's probably celebrating twice as much. He achieved his goal as the CEO of his family's business empire and successfully carried out his revenge plan by breaking my heart.

After six hours of travel, I finally made it home in Dansville at around four in the morning. I just hung out on the patio and crashed into one of the wicker chairs. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore and they started streaming down my face as I sobbed my heart out.

"Hey, is that you, Sweet?"

I looked up and was surprised to see a familiar man ascending the patio. Embarrassed for being caught crying, I wiped my face.

"Um, Jace. Why are you up at the crack of dawn?"

I just got back from helping Mrs. Thompson delivers her pregnant dog. "And you? Seems like you've just arrived from your date."

"Yeah, I did. I just got here after taking a bus from the city."

His brow furrowed. "No fancy helicopter this time?"

"Nope. And that's never gonna happen again. I'm through with him."

"Ah, I see. So, that's the reason you were crying." He sounded very concerned as he moved closer to me.

I got really emotional. Hot tears were streaming down my face as I started crying once more. I felt completely crushed.

"Hey," he plopped down on the wicker chair next to me. He made me feel better by patting my back. "Don't worry, everything will be fine, alright?"

I could only nod. He hugged me tight and let me cry on his shoulder, asking no questions.

Back in the day, I would cry on his shoulder. It was nice being in his arms again. It gave me a comforting feeling, just like before.

Jace was a really sweet guy. He kept quiet and mentioned nothing about Sebastian or anything that could make me feel worse. Instead, he whispered sweet words, reminding me that pain is just a part of life.

Jace's gentle actions made me think twice about whether he might be the right choice after all. My family was probably right about him being a good match for me. I was totally into Sebastian that I completely missed Jace's good intentions towards me.

"Are you feeling better?" He asked when I finally calmed down.

"Yeah, I am. Thanks for being my shoulder to cry on."

"No worries. You know I'm always here for you, right? Anything you need, or if you just want someone to talk to, I'm your guy."

"I'll keep that in mind," I said, nodding. "Time for me to go in. I'm exhausted from all the crying."

"Just take it easy. I know you're a strong woman. I'm sure you can handle this." He gave my arm a little rub and stepped back, ready to leave. "See you later, Sweet."

"Yeah, see you. Thanks," I said, then entered the house.

Once I got to my bedroom, I changed into my favorite cozy PJs. After that, I just crashed into bed and cried until I passed out.