And things go well...

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here, Xanthus?" he silently seethed, holding his brother close and as out-of-sight as he could. He doesn't want to imagine Parrot's reaction to Xanthus' presence in the safety of the cafe, so he makes up a plan to quickly (and metaphorically) boot his brother out of here.

"Way to welcome me, brother." Xanthus replies, rolling his eyes beneath the helmet. Xisuma can see the violet glow spilling onto the visor from his own eyes. He remembers that the man he's gripping roughly in his hand is his brother; his beloved, immature, little brother. He scolds himself, trying to calm his nerves. The opacity lessens and Xisuma, realising the anger that wanted to come out and bite like a wild dog, lets go of his brother's arm, though doesn't disallow him to stir away from him. A moment of silence befalls them in which they evaluate each other.

Xanthus is the one to break it, looking away from his brother's eyes. Xisuma, still trying to wrangle his conflicting emotions, does his best to listen.

"I came to apologise... to all of you." he says. Surprise paints Xisuma's expression. Surely, Xanthus knows that no one is going to welcome him here. No one is going to forgive him like Xisuma did every time he misbehaved when they were younger. He doubts they'll sit and listen like they do in class. If anything, they'll probably try to harm him. Parrot would want to pluck his eyes out with his own hands. However, it isn't just them who wouldn't forgive him.

Xisuma doesn't know how he could forgive his brother after endangering poor Spoke's life. Spoke, whose life turned around for the better: he came from the streets, he now sleeps on a soft mattress without the fear of hunger, he lives with people who love him and care about him. Now he also has to work for a monster of a human being, all thanks to his brother; his own blood, who has never thought before acting, always stirring up trouble, always running back to Xisuma so he may deal with the mess he left behind. He told him on the phone: he is done covering for him. He is done.

The anger flares and with it the violet light glows brighter. Before he can say anything more, he hears the squeak of a chair and everything rushes into focus. The music of the cafe is loud in his ears, so is the buzz of the customers' chatter and the floor and the walls seem brighter and it suddenly shocks him how close yet how far everything is. He blinks repeatedly, stepping back as he takes in his surroundings again, slowly exhaling. He paces a bit, glances at the group table to ensure the kids' continued ignorance, then regards his brother once more.

"And say what? That you're sorry?" Xisuma repeats the words he spoke on the phone, quietly with hardly quelled flames licking at his stomach, shaking his head. "I love you, brother, but this is the last time I tolerate your impulsive, pretentious and frankly stupid behaviour!"

Xanthus takes a step back like this is the first time he's heard these words. Xisuma doesn't know if Xanthus listened to him on the phone but he feels satisfied now that he sees him listening. It's like he has just now realised how bad the damage is and how far it's spread.

He would have said more (he had so much more to tell him, even though his workplace isn't a place for family quarrels) but then another voice spoke up. His eyes widened, head snapping to the group table, where the kids are still eating the words on their books, yet Red, who is sitting facing the counter, has stood up.

"You have some nerve showing your face!" the boy doesn't even try to keep his volume down. The rest of his company follows the monotone of his voice, usually paired with laughs and smart quips, now tainted with anger and a vengeful spirit. When they see what he has seen, however, they understand, and Xisuma sees their eyes harden and their lips tug into deep frowns.

Red rounds the table and marches like a soldier towards the two brothers. He harshly shoves Xanthus back. Xisuma sees the hand closing into a fist and reacts quickly. He grabs Red's right arm and carefully pulls him back. The boy snaps his head towards him with an ugly snarl, like a dog ready to bite a previously unknown attacker, yet his eyes, hidden behind the black lenses of his sunglasses, soften upon recognising him. He tuts, almost spitting in Xanthus' protected face and rips his arm out of Xisuma's hold. "If you weren't Xisuma's brother, you would be getting the Branzy treatment right now." he mutters, each word dripping with venom.