Chapter Thirty-one

Start from the beginning

The drinks were brought over, and the server poured three glasses of wine and then walked over to Neo's side and poured a glass of water. The server gave Neo a look of disgust before they walked away. Neo frowned and went back to the menu. He wished he could hide in the menu forever, but he knew they would all soon order food.

He felt his phone vibrate and he pulled it out and put it to the side of his leg. He looked down and saw a message from Patrick. He smiled before replying.

From Patrick: Hey. I hope you are doing well. Arc told me his parents wanted to meet you tonight. How is it going?

From Neo: I want to leave. This place is too fancy. The server gave me a weird look when I only ordered water. The menu is too complex.

From Patrick: Haha. Yeah. His parents like the best. Tell Arc that you don't like anything on the menu, and they will have the chef cook you what you want. His parents are not scary, I promise. Also, what did the server do?

From Neo: When they placed my water down, they looked at me like why are you here look and then walked away. I don't want to bother Arc or his parents. They are all in a deep conversation about the tribe. I have been zoning them out. I'll probably order the chicken plate and pick the pieces I want.

From Patrick: If you could order what you wanted, what would it be? That server had no right to give you that type of glare. If it happens again tell Arc.

From Neo: Truthfully, I just want grilled chicken with broccoli and maybe a side of mashed potatoes. I don't even see potatoes on this menu. That is so sad.

From Patrick: lol. That sounds good. Just tell Arc that is what you want. They would rather have you eat what you want than pick at the food.

From Neo: Yeah, I guess. I might. Idk.

Neo put his phone away as he saw the server walk back over. Neo looked back up and saw Arc's father looking at him. His eyes went wide while his face went red. He took a sip of water before he lowered his head to examine the menu.

"So, Neo? Tell us about yourself. Where are you from? Why Washington University?" Arc's father spoke. Each word he vocallized terrified Neo. Each word had power, dominance, and anger. Is he mad at me for being on my phone? Oh god. I am not giving a good first impression.

"I uh... I was born into the Lotus tribe, but they were attacked and taken over when I was six. I was then sent to foster care until I turned eighteen. My foster parents allowed me to live with them until I was able to move out for college. My foster father passed away earlier this year."

"I am sorry for your loss Neo."

"It is okay. It happens." Neo said before taking another sip of his drink. He looked around the restaurant and noticed that they were the only ones there now. He saw men sitting at tables, but you could tell they were security by the way they were presenting themselves.

"You are not much for words are you Neo?" The older man said. Neo looked at the man before down at the table.

"Yeah... I guess. I did not speak a lot growing up."

"Well, you have a beautiful voice. An interesting accent, don't you think dear?"

"Sounds like a slight transatlantic accent. Where were your foster parents from?"

"My foster father was from Britain and my foster mom is from the mid-west. Somewhere above Texas."

The server came back over and took orders.

"I will have the coq au vin, and my wife will have the Pan Seared Foie Gras." The server looked at Arc.

"I will have the Steak au poivre with cognac sauce, and my love will have grilled chicken with broccoli and mashed potatoes please." Arc looked at Neo and winked. Neo blushed deeply. How did Arc know? The server looked at Neo and rolled her eyes. Arc looked at his father who was sucking his top front teeth. Neo frowned and turned his attention to his cup of water.