Decisions Are Made

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean? Type of thing?"

"Dancing for orphans!" Gabriel exclaimed. Adrien sat there gobsmacked. Had he seriously just said that?

"What?" He thought about Marinette and Plagg, and how the two stood up for what's right, the overwhelming desire to explode creeping up on him at an inhuman speed.

"You did this for free, Adrien! What do we look like? A charity case?

Adrien's mind flashed through memories from the previous night.

Tom, laughing with the children as he was dressed in red and white, handing out presents and asking each and every one about their favourite things.

Sabine, handing out delicacies she'd spent all day working on along with the normal supply of baked goods to sell in a busy, crowded bakery.

Marinette, helping him out with the small child cradled in his arms as his mother had to give up her dreams, and her children's dreams.

How dare his father speak so poorly? How dare he think he's so much better? He was nothing more than a Scrooge. All this fame and power yet nothing good ever came from it.

"Enough!" Adrien said. The clatter of his chair vibrated against the floor. He'd pushed back with such force it went flying over, bouncing around on the ground as he stood towering over the table. His mouth was clenched, his teeth threatening to break apart from where they were pushed hard in the back of his mouth.

"Watch that temper, son. You don't want to end up putting yourself in a bit of a... predicament."

Gabriel remained seated, a smug look on his face, adding to the boiling feeling in Adrien's gut. How dare he think he can do this? His own father had belittled him for performing to make children happy. His own father threatened him for doing something for charity. His eyes dropped to the screen again, the glow dimming before turning off completely, taking away the praise and congratulations of the audience and leaving him in nothing but the cool atmosphere of the dining room.

Pushing himself up straight, he stood with his back in the perfect position, before turning around and lifting the chair back to the table, tucking it underneath before heading for the door into the hallway.

"Oh, and Adrien. You'll be dancing with Lila in the Sugar Plum Fairy Suite, Kim has had an unfortunate accident. I hope you don't mind."

It shouldn't have surprised or shocked him, but once again his father had the upper hand, thanks for manipulation and an iron tight contract. Adrien looked over his shoulder and prayed his eyes told his father exactly how he felt, before leaving the dining room and ultimately the mansion, their breakfast firmly forgotten.

Arriving at the studio early, Adrien walked inside and threw his bag onto the ground nearest to the piano. He hadn't been so moody and grumpy in weeks, yet one conversation with his father undid all the good work Marinette had put into him.

He marched over to the abandoned piano in the corner and lifted the cover, dragging his fingers over the smooth ivory keys and wiping away the dust. This was his mother's favourite piano. It was white and large and perfectly tuned... or at least it was. His finger pressed down on the 'G' only to wince at the sound which escaped the confines of the casing.

Rolling up his sleeves, Adrien lifted the lid to the piano and looked inside. It may take him quite a while to tune, but it would be worth it. This piano was the embodiment of his favourite memories, and he adored it.

Tightening the strings, he continued to press the key and check the sounds growing more content as he went. Fixing the piano felt like a step in the right direction. A step closer to his mother and the security of her love.