Chapter 33 - So Long, Hange

Start from the beginning

By dawn, the boat had docked in Hizuru, all the fuel unloaded and the flying boat reassembled by the Azumabito engineers. The alliance members hovered at the port, listlessly suiting up in their gear. Leah's paranoid eyes searched for any signs of steam in the distance, straining her ears for any rumbling.

"Relax, Captain. The flying boat is almost ready." Mikasa comforted, putting a hand on the woman's shoulder. Leah's gaze lingered on the mountains in the distance as she lifted her opposite hand to place it on top of Mikasa's, before she finally tore her eyes away to give Mikasa a half-hearted smile.

"Hange!" Onyankopon hollered from the warehouse which the flying boat was being loaded in. "We'll be ready for take-off sequence in about an hour!"

Hange waved a hand back at him, calling out, "Got it!" Before turning back to their remaining soldiers. "Well, you heard the man, everyone give your ODM Gear a final check."

"Roger that." They replied.

Leah hooked the empty hand pieces of her blades onto their holsters and rolled her shoulders, inhaling sharply when the bullet wound began to sting. Levi let out a choked grunt, and everyone's eyes shifted to him. He was sat on a wooden crate, trying his hardest to pull the trigger on his gear with the two fingers he had left on his right hand. The effort and pain was plain on his face as he grimaced. Eventually he curled his ring finger around the metal trigger just enough and successfully pulled it.

Leah let out the breath she had unintentionally been holding in. She hadn't been keen on Levi joining the resistance attempt, but if he was going to she was at least glad he was able to use his gear. "Two fingers are all I need to get the job done. I'm good to go."

The words left Levi's lips in a deep and determined growl, and Leah couldn't help but hear the inuedo in them. Inappropriate as it was for the situation, a blush burnt on her cheeks and her eyes widened every so slightly, only intensifying when Connie snorted beside her. The boy tried his best to cover it up as a cough.

Hange, clearly on a similar wavelength, sent Leah a suggestive smirk to which the red-head sighed. "Will you all grow up?" Leah tsked, hurrying away towards the warehouse to hide her reddening face.

As the departure neared, the alliance said their farewells to Annie, who was remaining on the boat with Falco, Gabi and the Azumabitos. Leah leaned against the inside wall of the warehouse, scraping out the remains of a soup can with her spoon. She watched as one of the engineers scaled a tall ladder, finishing off some final preparations for flight.

"We made it." Onyankopon gushed from beside her. The two glanced at each other, sharing a relieved smile as Leah placed her empty can and spoon on a crate. "We out ran the rumbling. This could still work."

The words had no sooner left his mouth before a muted squelching sounded from the corner of the spacious shed. "Holy shit." Leah gulped as a soaked and deathly looking Floch staggered in through a side door, leaving a trail of sea water behind him. And clamped in his hands was a pistol.

The dripping from his dark uniform grew more rapid as he planted his feet and before Leah could gather her thoughts, the reddish haired boy raised the gun and shot wildly. The Captain pulled Onyankopon behind her, bracing herself against him with her eyes squeezed shut.

Bullets ricocheted around them and Leah peeked her eyes open again when there was a whizz of ODM Gear and a choked gurgle. Mikasa's rig was anchored into Floch's throat, the wire taught as his body hung limply, blood gargling in his mouth.

Leah darted to the front of the warehouse, her eyes scanning for Levi and Hange. Their heads were turned curiously in her directions and when Hange saw Leah, they spread their arms in an attempt to convey their confusion. Leah waved urgently, "Come quick!" She bayed.